Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: How Many Hours Per Day for the pump?

How Many Hours Per Day for the pump?

While we have our pool open now and THANK YOU to TFP, our water is crystal clear, my question is:

How many hours per day do you run your pump and filter? 24x7? During the day only? During the night only?

Thanks, Jeri
    15x30 AG 48" deep Oval
    Hayward 1.5 Power Flow Max LX Pump, Hayward E Series Sand Filter
    Superior Spa (Made right here in Oklahoma) with 96 jets
    800 feet of 2 level decking around pool and spa overlooking beautiful pasture and pond.
    Our own backyard paradise

Re: How Many Hours Per Day for the pump?

I typically run mine 8 hours in the summer. 4 in the morning, 4 in the evening. It depends on how long it takes to 'turn over' your water (Run it all thru the filter at least once)
    WetEdge Satin Matrix, 16K gallon, Pentair NSP-60 DE filter, Pac Fab Challenger, 2HP pump, BBB, Polaris 360

There's not really a set answer to your question because it depends on so many different rate limiting factors.

I run mine for four hours a day. I know that my water turns over at least once with this amount of time. It also gives the cleaner a chance to really cover everything too. I run mine in the early morning and will also run it on demand for an hour or so after the sun sets if I am adding chems.

Based on your pump size and pool size, someone will probably be able to give you a ballpark starting point on how long to run your pump. Generally, you can run the pump for less and less time each day, testing the water and observing the clarity of your water all the while, until you reaching a break point where you know that the water is no longer staying as clean as it normally would. Then you know what the best run time is for your particular pool.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

I have it on a timer to run for two hours over night and run it on demand for a hour or two during the evening when adding chemicals and/or vacuuming.
    21,000 Gallon IG Plaster with Spillover Spa (Built in 1978) | 48 sq/ft Hayward DE Filter | 3.0 HP Pentair Variable Speed Pump | Hayward H250FDN Heater| 8 Gallon Liquidator | Taylor K-2005 | Taylor FAS-DPD Chlorine Test | Taylor "SpeedStir"

The rule of thumb I ~ follow is 1 hour/ 10* high temp of the day. It'd be better to split the run time so that you have the pool running while folks are likely to be using it and then a run at night when no one's using it to really let the chlorine do it's job
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

It is probably overkill, but I run mine 24/7.

-Ken-
    20'x40' / 30,000 Gal / In Ground / Vinyl
    Pentair FNS 48 DE Filter / Pentair Challenger 1.5 HP Pump
    Jandy Lite2 400k BTU Propane Heater / Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    TF-100 Test Kit / BBB
    Creator of SimplePool (BBB Friendly Android App) http://www.simplepool.net

There is a new write up in Pool School on how to determine your ideal pump run time.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    TFP Admin. Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

run mine 12-14hrs a day
    15,500g Rectangle IG Sport Pool

I run mine for 8 hours a day
    ~*Tricia*~
    ~Red Sox Fan 4 Life~ *Go Jacoby*
    My Pool
    24' Round AG Pool...52" high...13,500 gallons
    Hayward 1.5 HP Power Flo Matrix Pump and Sand Filter...BBB Method

Right now where my pool has minimal (if any) usage, I am running a 2 1/2 hr cycle, (just about enough for a turnover).

Once my kids get active I run 4 hrs daily, and during a heavy usage family bbq pee party i'll run it continueous for a few days .
    "To be old and wise, you must have been young and stupid"

18X33 Aquasphere buttress AG pool
    Pentair SD60 sand filter/1 hp pump/ Pool Frog
    Polaris 65 super turtle