Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hello! Waiting for TF-100 Kit :)

1. Back To Top    #1

Hello! Waiting for TF-100 Kit :)

Hi! I've finally had enough of the pool store folks telling me need to dump "25lbs of this" or "an entire box of that" into my pool to get rid of the algae!!! I ordered the TF-100 kit with XL option and it should be here tomorrow. I also bought the Speed Stirrer from Amazon and already have it in my hands. I am determined to learn what to do and stay ahead of this. We've been battling that nasty green stuff for about a month now and have already spent WAAAYY too much money! On the flip side, I'm super nervous im not going to get this right. ((Prayers and good luck wishes are welcomed ) If I can figure out how to provide pics, I'll be happy to do so.

Since I don't have the test kit yet, is there anything I can do today to help prep for SLAMMING the pool tomorrow after the kit arrives? I back washed last night. Should I brush again this evening? Vacuum (I have a Hayward Bug type vacuum).

Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hello! Waiting for TF-100 Kit :)

Having that TF-100 in your hands in 90% of the battle. Your test results will outline everything you need to do and what you need to add. Stick close to the SLAM page as well. I wouldn't try to guess on what you need other than simply regular bleach (generic is fine) and perhaps some muriatic acid. When your test kit arrives, we'll focus on the following:
    - pH adjusted to 7.2
    - CYA adjusted to 30 (if it's really high we'll discuss later)
    - FC to 12 (based on CYA of 30); may go higher is CYA is higher

From there we'll help you along the way. No worries. Oh, and don't forget to update your signature!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Great info in pool school here as well:
    Pool School - Defeating Algae

Welcome to TFP. Stick with the plan here and you'll be sparkling very soon.
    8,500gal plaster in-ground with attached spa, two floor drains, one skimmer. Chlorine, City Water.
    Pentair WhisperFlo 1hp Pump, MagnaTek Midcentury EPlus motor, Pentair CleanNClear 200SF Cartridge filter, Purex Triton MiniMax 250 Gas Heater, Pentair SunLite, AutoFill.
    Kreepy Krauly Cruiser, TF-100 with SpeedStir. :D

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for you reply. I'll bookmark the SLAM page. I may also go ahead and make a run to Walmart for bleach. I'm not sure if they carry muriatic acid. That might be a trip to Lowes.

I'm anxious to get started!
    24' Round AG w/Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter & 1.5hp Pump
    Hayward Aqua Critter Vacuum
    TF-100 Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

At Lowe's you'll want to look for this:
    Muriatic Acid (Lowes):
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the pic! That's a big help!
    24' Round AG w/Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter & 1.5hp Pump
    Hayward Aqua Critter Vacuum
    TF-100 Kit