Frustrated...Still Cloudy HELP

Gags80

Gold Supporter
Jun 15, 2016
Stow
Hello All!

So we are a second year pool owner after installing the SWG pool last year. We defiantly had a honeymoon phase last year with zero issues all last year and crystal clear water! Unlike a lot of users on here we have a very good local pool store who explains things and agrees with things posted in this forum. They do, for obvious reason, sell bioguard products which isn't cheap but had a healthy clean pool all year.

Fast forward to this year. Opened pool in April and got up and running very quickly and got the same crystal clear water from last year till now. 2 weeks ago with all the pollen falling in Massachusetts the pool started getting cloudy and got worse quickly. Was at that time using test strips and bringing pool water samples to pool store.

The issue was not resolved after a week and about $700 worth of bioguard products (mostly diclor and Lithium Hypo). Being frustrated i took to the internet and found this site. i have since studied and read (and read) Pool School and many many forum posts for more hours than i want to admit. :cool:

Since then i have taken control ;) got a a Taylor k-2006 test kit and using bleach, aeration, and muratic acid to solve some of my problems. Although not perfect i got the PH, FC, TA, and CYA under control (i think) after a week. i'm 3 days into the SLAM process and have passed the 2 (OLCT and CC) of the 3 requirements. Still haven't passed the cloudy water part. Although i can see the drains on bottom of the pool its still very hazy. Frustrated as i have passed 2 of 3 SLAM criteria and stats look alright but the water is not where it should be visually.

Any Suggestions??? i just added bioguard polysheen blue based on reading how it helped people who i believe are in a similar situation as me. Getting desperate!

Current Stats

PH 7.4
TA 100
CH 220
CYA 70
FC 33 (Last test in SLAM process)
CC 0

Inground 31K, SWG, Vinyl, Sand Filter

Thanks
Jay

At this point you have killed all the algae and are to the point where filtration is the final phase to getting you clear. You've done everything right so far and are still doing the right thing. What I would do at this point is do everything you can to help your filtration. Make sure you're brushing the pool and/or running your automatic pool cleaner daily to keep things mixed up. Also, I would highly suggest adding DE to your sand filter to try to get to the end quicker. See here: Pool School - Add DE to a Sand Filter

Large pools with sand filters take the longest to clear the cloudiness from what I've seen here on TFP. 3 days is a very quick SLAM on average, it will just take time to get that clarity where it should be. The DE will help accelerate that when accompanied by brushing/pool cleaner/robot to keep the water thoroughly mixed.

I can confirm i've been running the filter 24/7 (SWG is off), manually vacuuming daily, and also adding some DE to my sand filter per the recommendations on this site. i guess i just need to be a little more patient and keep the doing what i'm doing. With a nice weekend coming up we were hoping to get the kids in the water.

It just takes time to filter that cloudiness away. I have a cartridge filter (which is supposed to filter better than sand but not as good as a DE filter), I even added filter aid to it and it took me about 5 days running 24/7 to get rid of the last bit of cloudiness after my last SLAM. Hang in there... It WILL clear up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Can you post some pics of the water? It is safe to swim even if you haven't passed the SLAM criteria fully if ALL of these are true:

You can clearly see the bottom of the entire pool.
Your FC is less than the shock level for your CYA.
Your pH is between 7.2 and 7.8.

The first one is the most important. For safety, you should always be able to see if someone is struggling on the bottom of the pool or has sunk to the bottom.

Posting current pictures of your pool in the deep end and shallow end would help. Having steps visible in the pictures helps give a reference point.

You could briefly allow the FC to drop for swimming, though it would be difficult to test pH at FC > 10 as the pH test is not accurate then.

You should continue the SLAM to the finish line criteria, even if you do interrupt it for a bit of swimming.

The first 2 pictures are the deep end (one showing part of the sundeck and the other with the robot doing its thing). Also attached one of the shallow end w/ steps. Its very sunny out today :( and just started robot up so water had some movement.

20160617_150720.jpg20160617_150757.jpg20160617_150731.jpg

Appreciate all the feedback!

I would say that you're getting pretty close! If you were going to try to swim, I think it would be fine if you let the FC drop just a little by not adding any, only keeping it in the 20s while swimming. This will allow you to swim, but may suspend progress until you resume shock level FC. It will be a little harsher on suits and skin for swimming, but still safe. As far as measuring pH... I'm not sure if this would work to check pH, but if you added a couple drops of the R-0007 solution after filling pH color match side of your test block, that would neutralize most of the FC, allowing you to check pH more accurately. I don't however know if the thiosulfate in R-0007 would skew the pH result...

Update. Maybe have seen a small difference in the clarity but is very minimal. I have been continuing to SLAM the pool but wondering at this point if i can stop the SLAM since i'm still passing the OLCT and still see 0 CC for the past few days?

I will continue to run filter 24/7 but hoping i can stop the SLAM and focus on using clarifiers and vacum to clear it up?

Thoughts?

PH 7.4
TA 90
CH 200
CYA 60
FC 26 (Last test in SLAM process)
CC 0

Timing is everything. Yesterday the water took a major turn in the right direction followed by huge improvement overnight last night. Its 95% back to normal. Will post final picture this weekend when back to normal. :whoot:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
focus on using clarifiers and vacum to clear it up?
Please don't do that....ever. Vacuuming and brushing are an important part of the SLAM. You will not find ANT mention of clarifiers. Google clarifiers on this site and you will NEVER buy them again. Did the Pool Store suggest them to you?

i'm done with feedback from the pool store :hammer:. I read mixed reviews on the clarifiers specifically the Polysheen blue on this site. At this point the pool clarity is almost 100% and saw a big bump once i put in the polysheen, of course this is after i had good chemical balance per the pool math calculator using Pool School methodology for days!!!! :lovetfp:

i'm hoping by tomorrow morning it will look better than ever! :whoot:

Sorry for the delay in sending the after pictures, too busy enjoying our crystal clear pool!!:swim: We get comments all the time about how clear and HD like our pool water looks.

The TFP methods work and can say the pool has been easy to maintain and never looked better, THANK YOU! :cheers:

20160710_104616.jpg20160710_104606.jpg20160710_104624.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.