Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cloudy water - Just need a gut check

1. Back To Top    #1

Cloudy water - Just need a gut check

First summer with pool. Opened crystal clear in April. Good all season.

Just last night started getting cloudy. I noticed my chlorine was low (almost zero). I chlorinate like the previous owner, pucks in the filter basket (I know, there’s debate on this method). I neglected to put a new puck in for a couple days.

I tested with my TF 100 kit today, my numbers are below. I added liquid bleach per the calculator (2.5 gal), put the safety cover back on and kept the pump running

I figured I wasn’t going to mess with any stabilizer or anything else right now, just shock it to get the FC back up.

Does this all sound correct?

FC = 1 (if that)
    CC = 0
    CYA = 30
    CH = 500
    TA= 55
    pH = 6.8
    Bill

14000 Gal, Vinyl Lined Pool, No salt

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cloudy water - Just need a gut check

Your minimum from this chart Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart is 2. Anything below is reason for concern. I would raise levels to at least above target. How much do you lose daily?

You could do an OCLT to know for sure but I believe a Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain is in order.
    13700 gal, 32'x16'x54" AG oval, vinyl, Echo Canyon II, 8500 series, Narrow Yard, Safety Fence & Stair, Sta-Rite Crystal Flow T-210WF, 44 GPM, Hayward SP1580TL 1HP Pump, Aqua Luminator, Festiva wedding cake steps, March 2006, TFT-100, Speed-Stir, Sample Sizer. Avatar Credit: TJ Townsend

3. Back To Top    #3

Yep, I'm starting the SLAM process. I'm keeping the cover on which should help.
    Bill

4. Back To Top    #4

Also, looks like I should leave the cover off during the SLAM process?
    Bill

5. Back To Top    #5

yes, allows the CCs to burn off. and while its off, good time to clean the cover.
    13700 gal, 32'x16'x54" AG oval, vinyl, Echo Canyon II, 8500 series, Narrow Yard, Safety Fence & Stair, Sta-Rite Crystal Flow T-210WF, 44 GPM, Hayward SP1580TL 1HP Pump, Aqua Luminator, Festiva wedding cake steps, March 2006, TFT-100, Speed-Stir, Sample Sizer. Avatar Credit: TJ Townsend

6. Back To Top    #6

It is important to maintain PH between 7.2 and 7.8.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

OK, I'll add some Borax to bump up the pH.

I thought I read not to mess with pH adjustments during SLAM. My FC is now about 14.5. My pH is still reading 6.8.
    Bill

8. Back To Top    #8

It is true that the PH test is invalid when FC is above 10 ppm.

The test results in post #1 was 6.8 with FC 0

Enter your test results in Poolmath and target PH of 7.2.

Adjusting PH to 7.2 is one of the prerequisites of starting a SLAM. It is important to follow all of the steps in the SLAM process. More here, SLAM
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach