Algae, CYA, Chlorine, Temperature, pump run times questions...

May 11, 2016
Texas
I am trying to get things lined out and thought I was done. I live in south Texas and my water temp was 92 degrees at 9 pm last night. I am curious if this may be causing my algae issue to get worse.

I recently completed the SLAM and all seemed well until FC level dropped to 4, water temp seemed warmer, did not check temp but it felt noticeably warmer, and I had also reduced pump run time to 12 hours per day. Green little algae all over surfaces the next day
Does the pump run time factor in to algae prevention?

I checked my CYA and it showed 30 to 40 hard for me to tell. This test is hard for me to distinguish. I have the big bucket of granulated dichlor that I would love to use to chlorinate while raising CYA but don't know if there is an accurate way to see how much CYA I would be adding. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

One other thing I failed to mention was the fact that the steps had a bunch of nasty leaves underneath them that I finally got out. I also plan to get those nasty green sand bags in basically Ziploc bags that leak out from under there and use the bleach bottle filled with pea gravel or pvc weight method this weekend.

I began slam again yesterday but have had guests over so it has been difficult. I should be able to do this properly this weekend.

I tried to be thorough in description, let me know if there are questions. I will post numbers tonight as well if needed. Thanks

Bill

Does the pump run time factor in to algae prevention?
Not really Bill. It will help to keep the surface clear and mix chemicals for good circulation, but from everything you are describing it's a chemical issue. You have had low FC, increasing swimming (bacteria), coupled with leaves and debris in the water, along with our warmer water. My pool temp is pushing 94, so it's very susceptible to algae if the FC is not strong constantly.

A SLAM is in order for sure. It doesn't mean you can't still swim as long as you don't go over your SLAM FC level. Based on a CYA of 40, increase your FC to 16 and let that chlorine do it's job. Don't forget to lower pH to 7.2 before starting the SLAM.

Pat, Well, it is looking good. I have been keeping chlorine level elevated since guest left Thurs or Fri? and water cleared up, I added water and I vacuumed yesterday and it looks great this morning. I am running extremely low on DPD powder but have more on the way. I am still checking it but not as often since I don't have the amount of powder to do so. I will check this evening and perform OCLT....if I have enough to do this.

BTW, FC was 8.5 last night and I added 144 oz of Bravo bleach, forgot to recheck but this morning was 13.5, I added another 60 oz to bring up to 16. I plan to check this evening and hopefully perform OCLT but weather may want to interfere as it was sprinkling just a bit earlier.

Thanks for all the help.

Bill

So, as far as the powder dichlor goes for using? Any ways to determine how much it will raise cya?

Ok, so update. Pool has been looking better during this slam. Cleared up quickly but I think I found the source of the problem. Sand bags beneath the steps. I thought they were sealed inside plastic bags but found sand underneath them and know there is algae inside those plastic bags. I plan to try and find pea gravel to fill bleach jugs with this weekend unless someone has a better suggestion. BTW performed OCLT last night and it was 1 ppm loss so slam is complete for now. Thanks for all the help.

Bill

I finally got the sandbags replaced yesterday. Seems like algae wants to grow almost as soon as my FC drops below 6? Just a guess on that number but it was 4.5 yesterday and I already saw some green tint to water and algae on surface. Upped the FC to about 12. Showed to be 10 this afternoon, I'll keep an eye on it. This pool is nearly becoming too much trouble. Sheesh

Our temps are getting up there. Now is the time, once you are algae-free again, to consider increasing CYA a bit. The TFP standard range is 30-50, but those of us in very hot regions of the country can easily take advantage of a CYA of 60 or maybe even 70. The sun's UV is just too intense for us. So once you get things cleared-up (and you know how to do that now :) ), you might want to increase CYA to at least 50. Of course you'll need to raise your FC target slightly, but it might help the water remain more stable while keeping a stronger FC available during this hot time of year. If you have anymore questions about it, let me know.

Pat, I really appreciate the advice. This will hopefully do the trick. If need be, I will ask for help. Just a bit of a roller coaster.
BTW, I went to pool store today to pick up some stabilizer which they didnt have and had them test my water. They came back saying I had phosphates. I said yes but if you kill the algae it doesn't matter if they have food. They just looked at me. Seemed funny to me but I doubt they thought so.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
They just looked at me. Seemed funny to me but I doubt they thought so.
ha ha. There are probably several things you could say to them now and get that "deer in the headlights look". :shock:

Just make sure to be 100% algae-free before increasing the CYA. Have a nice evening.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.