Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Intex Metal Frame Above Ground Pool Leaking Around Drain Outlet

1. Back To Top    #1

Intex Metal Frame Above Ground Pool Leaking Around Drain Outlet

We have leaks in the seams around the drain outlet and patching does not hold up long term because of the ridges in the seams. Is there a better solution to fixing up the leaks so they hold more permanently?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Intex Metal Frame Above Ground Pool Leaking Around Drain Outlet

WELCOME TO TFP !!!!!

Can we get a picture?

Is what you call a drain a skimmer along the top wall of your pool, a drain in the side of the pool or a drain in the pool floor?
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

3. Back To Top    #3

I think they are talking about the actual drain at the bottom of the wall. It's reinforced like the other openings and has a plug on the inside and a cap on the outside. If so I'm not really sure if a patch would hold long there. It's on a spot of the pool that sees the most stress from water pressure. Being uneven with the different thickness of the reinforced area doesn't help.

24'x52" Artesian w/ Portifino liner - Hayward 1hp powerflo matrix w/24" sand filter - AquaTrol RJ SWG. Solar heating to come. -

4. Back To Top    #4

I had same issue on my first pool, ended up gluing a very large patch over the entire drain area on the inside. Never used the drain anyways, always used a pump to empty the pool. Go to you local pool supply store, they usually sell liner patch by the square foot.
    Ultra 16', Intex Sand filter/pump combo, 8' x 20' solar panels, solar blanket w/roll tube, 1" extruded foam floor with Gorilla pad, Liquid chlorine and stabilizer.