New member from Minnesota!

Jun 17, 2016
Woodbury, MN
Hello!

We bought a foreclosure a couple years ago and inherited a pool! I was (and still am) thrilled about it but my husband has been less than enthused-- he seems to love it when its cooperating but when things go wrong he is seconds away from borrowing his buddy's backhoe to dig it up:(

This year has been particularly difficult for us.. we let our chlorine drop to zero at the end of the season last year and are still working on getting the levels back up. In the meantime, we needed a new pump and now just discovered that there is a leak coming from our shallow skimmer so we're only operating with one skimmer right now (discovered after I added a clarifier, of course), to top it all off, we tend to employ affordable (albeit unreliable) people to help us out- the dogs broke on our auto pool cover because the ropes were put on incorrectly and put too much torque on the mechanism, so now we can't even open the cover to put chems in and check the water! I'm going crazy wondering whats going on under there! Out of sheer fear that our pool is reverting back into a swamp, I've slowly been adding liquid chlorine through the skimmer along with a couple pucks. Our CYA was 68 last time I checked and our FC was 9.74- I know I'm not at shock level yet but I plan on vacuuming to waste and refilling to get the debris off the bottom and reduce the CYA so it will take me less to shock- BUT I can't do anything until the auto cover is fixed and will open!

Hubby is not happy about all the repairs and issues we've had this year- especially since it's the middle of June and we live in MN and our swim season is so short. I've been commissioned to be the sole caretaker of the pool so needless to say, I've been stalking this forum for the last couple months and have already learned tons (especially about the CYA/FC connection! I don't think my local pool store even knows about that!).

Anyway, I apologize for the long and rambling post and I look forward to being a part of this forum! Thanks!

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: You're not the first to say you were placed in charge of the pool. :) Well, I definitely wouldn't make it a habit of pouring the chemicals directly into the skimmer. Just not the best. Hopefully you'll get hat cover issue resolved soon so we can help you. Read-up on our pages and once you get ready to "SLAM" let us know if you have any questions.