Installing timer for pool filter

Jun 17, 2016
New jersey
I'm trying to install a 120v international t101 timer. What is there now is a twist lock 20 amp receptacle at the filter and an gfci breaker in the panel. My question is I know the timer needs a neutral to move the clock. So can I just take a neutral from neutral bar to the timer. Put the hot wire from gfci breaker to the line on the timer and put the load wire from filter to load on timer. Keeping the load neutral on the gfci breaker for protection. Or is this going to cause it to trip gfci?

What you plan to do will not work as the GFCI will see the additional neutral as a voltage leak and shut the GFCI off. what you should do, is intersect the line (black, white, ground) from the GFCI load side and connect the timer there. Then hook the pump to the output of the timer. This way everything goes thru the GFCI like it should and everything will be protected as well.

Dan

im not understanding what you mean by intersect. The timer needs power neutral and ground. The filter load has a black white and ground. Now the gfci breakers neutral lead obviously stays on neutral bar but breaker needs a load neutral. Are you saying put the filter load neutral and neutral from timer to breaker?

Intersect was the wrong word to use, my bad.
Here is what you need to do. From the load side of the gfci, connect the black and white to their respective terminals (I will leave the ground out for this example). Run those wires to the timer and connect to the input side of the timer. connect the black and white to the pump to the output of the timer. Connect all grounds as you normally would.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.