Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Paver deck joint to coping (Deco seal or polymeric sand?)

1. Back To Top    #1

Paver deck joint to coping (Deco seal or polymeric sand?)

Getting closer to finishing the deck, the big question, which to use between the pavers and coping? Is there a right or wrong way? The pavers will have polymeric sand with is pretty much like concrete when set.
    33x19, 3'4"-5'6", 7ft spa, baja reef, 14'x9', 18" deep, 10,668 Gal. Quartzite coping, Stonescape Tropics Blue mini-pebble, abalone & glass beads. Jandy Equip.(JXi heater, 2.7HPVS pump, PLC1400 SWG, CV580 filter, Aqualink, LEDs)
    TF-100, Doheny Discovery robot.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Paver deck joint to coping (Deco seal or polymeric sand?)

Our pavers all are set with the polymeric sand, even next to the travertine coping.
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

3. Back To Top    #3

What is on the other side of the paver deck opposite of the pool? Can it move? Or is it the house? If it can move a bit then it doesn't matter. If not, I would put foam backer and self leveling polyurethane caulk, like Sikaflex.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

House and walls, i will do foam and mastic, thanks
    33x19, 3'4"-5'6", 7ft spa, baja reef, 14'x9', 18" deep, 10,668 Gal. Quartzite coping, Stonescape Tropics Blue mini-pebble, abalone & glass beads. Jandy Equip.(JXi heater, 2.7HPVS pump, PLC1400 SWG, CV580 filter, Aqualink, LEDs)

5. Back To Top    #5

Add sand to top of caulking and it will blend nicer.
    18,000 gunite pool/spa combo. Pebble tec, iaqualink rs8, cl580 filter, aquapure 1400, 400k btu lx heater, 10 solar panels, jandy 1hp, 1 1/2hp, and 2hp stealth pumps for circ, spa, waterfall

6. Back To Top    #6

How quickly do add the sand? As you are going or at the end?

I am planning on useing the silkaflex, they are cutting the pavers about 1/4"-3/8" away from the coping. I have natural stone so it a bit wavey. The coping is 2 3/8" about the same as the pavers, i am planning on pushing foam backer rod in the gap and using the silkaflex. I know its self leveling but does it shrink? In other words, when you fill the joint to the top is going to remain the height and not shrink down into the joint?

I think i will put some oversized foam in the joint when they do the polymeric sand so none gets into this joint.

7. Back To Top    #7

They poured it over the top while still wet. It's 10 years old now and getting ready to redo but the pic give some idea of the look
    18,000 gunite pool/spa combo. Pebble tec, iaqualink rs8, cl580 filter, aquapure 1400, 400k btu lx heater, 10 solar panels, jandy 1hp, 1 1/2hp, and 2hp stealth pumps for circ, spa, waterfall

8. Back To Top    #8

Deco-seal. It's just a better and easier product for this application. Squirt it in, a little sand topping and walk away. Sikaflex, and I love this stuff, can get away from you and have you hating life.
    13,000 gal.Peanut shaped IG Plaster (med. gray) w/ 7' raised spa. ALL Pentair: Intelliflow 3hp VS, Cartridge filter, 400,000 btu heater, 2.0hp spa motor, Easy Touch control panel & is4 spa side switch, Intellichlor 40C SWG, Paramount PV3 In Floor cleaning system, spa spillway and two sheer descents. Solar: 10 FAFCO panels 1.5hp booster. Testt kits: K-2006 & K1766 (Chloride/Salt) Fill date August 15, 2114.

9. Back To Top    #9

No, polyurethane sealant does not shrink.
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

10. Back To Top    #10

Ok, i will look into the decoseal also. Here are photos of the expansion joint. I did not use the foam that is used with concrete as i thought we were going to just add polymeric sand. I just plan to buy a rool of that 1/2" x 4 inch white foam and cut it down to 2" and stuff it into the joint, its 1/4" - 3/8" wide and 2 3/8" deep (the depth of the pavers),

Will look into the new premixed deco seal also.

11. Back To Top    #11

That sounds like a good plan with the foam, that is what my guy used.
    TFP Moderator