Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Vacuum??

1. Back To Top    #1

Vacuum??

I'm totally confused on vacuum. I can't afford anything automatic right now. Just upgraded to Sand filter. Last year i used one that i hooked to water hose..what a pain in the rear!!!
    Can i use the same type of vacuum with a hose and hook to filter intake? How do these work?

16x48 intex ultra with intex 1500 gph pump
    16x48 AG Intel 5600 Gal. Intex sand filter 2800 gph
    Muskogee, OK

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Vacuum??

Yes a regular manual vac will work just fine. A lot better althan the water hose hook up kinds. Those don't really get all the fine dirt and sediments.
    All you need is a vacuum head for a vinyl pool, a pole, and a vacuum hose long enough to reach all areas of the pool. They connect to the suction port of the pool or to an adapter in the thru wall skimmer if you have one of those installed on your pool.

24'x52" Artesian w/ Portifino liner - Hayward 1hp powerflo matrix w/24" sand filter - AquaTrol RJ SWG. Solar heating to come. -

3. Back To Top    #3

No skimmer im lost on where to hook up

16x48 intex ultra with intex sand filter 2800
    16x48 AG Intel 5600 Gal. Intex sand filter 2800 gph
    Muskogee, OK

4. Back To Top    #4

It's been a while but I recall, I removed the grid on the suction port (on the inside of the pool where the filter sucks water out of the pool).
    Then the hose stuffs right into the suction port and makes a good connection and the vacuum works very well. Good luck.

Get this vacuum if you don't already have it - it works fine.

Amazon.com : Intex Pool Maintentance Kit - Deluxe Edition : Swimming Pool Maintenance Kits : Patio, Lawn Garden
    Intex 12'x24'x52"
    8,403 gallons
    Intex SF60110 2450 GPH Sand Filter
    Intex CS8110 SWG
    Aquabot AJET121I Pool Rover S20-40

5. Back To Top    #5

Does your pool have a grate over the suction inlet in the wall? If so than you'll need to unscrew that grate cover and remove it. The fun part will be finding a way to adapt the vacuum hose so it will fit in the suction inlet. My vacuum hose is an inch and a quarter in diameter. When I had my intex type pool I went to lowes and found a pvc adapter that would fit the vacuum hose and was reduced on one end to fit into thr the suction port. I don't recall off the top of my head the size of the fitting but I do remember it was a snug fit.
    That is my only suggestion on hooking up a vacuum. There's probably many ways now to do it. Hopefully someone will be along with some more insight.

24'x52" Artesian w/ Portifino liner - Hayward 1hp powerflo matrix w/24" sand filter - AquaTrol RJ SWG. Solar heating to come. -

6. Back To Top    #6

Intex sells a "deluxe maintenece kit". It should include everything you need including the adapter to hook up the hose that's also included in the kit. It priced VERY reasonably.

Does your pool have a skimmer? I've got the Intex floating skimmer and it works fantastic for clearing the floating debris off the surface. I did have to make a PVC stand to make the mounting secure, but it was worth the little bit of effort. I've had a couple folks PM me about the mounting stand I made. Hopefully one of these days I'll put forth the effort to repost some pics for those interested.