Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did my first testing! *Updated

1. Back To Top    #1

Did my first testing! *Updated

Ok guys..I got my Tf100 test kit and used it this morning. First off...it was so much fun! I am afraid of my results but it was so fun!! I don't know if this has anything to do with the results but we did have rain a lot of the day yesterday.

So my post before explained my pool store fun. The last thing I was told to add was the stabilizer. Again, my chlorine was low. So I added the entire bottle like I was told. I believe this was last week. Came back last Sunday to get my water checked and everything was "fine" but chlorine was a little low so he said phosphates (there was a little) and if I still had issues with the chlorine then I was to add the phosphate stuff. Then if that wasn't working , I would need a new salt cell. At this point I was done and went home and looked up phosphates and realized it was not really an issue so I came here . I decided to know my pool and take control. Just a little bit of background .

Oh and I had to do some of the tests a couple times because I am a rookie and wasn't sure I did it right. I still hope I did it right. I had the CH at 200 but then I realized I wasn't taking it from further down in the pool . I was taking it from the top.

FC: 1
    CC: 0
    PH: 7.8-8.2 This was kind of tough to tell since I have trouble with colors . I held it up to the sky and tried a white background.
    TA: 120
    CH 150
    CYA: I filled it all the way and could still see the black dot although it did get difficult at the end. I am assuming I am not supposed to see it all . So I guess that is 100+?

I am going to try the CYA one more time because this is the hardest test for me. I used the pool water that came with the kit to test things. I got it up to the 40 line and still could kind of see the black dot. So i am not sure I am doing it right. I tried it again with my water and although murky, I still could see the black dot when I got to the top.
    Pool is 20 X 40 so about 27,000 gallons according to a calculator/ IG/Vinyl
    Sand Filter hayward not sure of model
    Hayward super pump model C48L2N134B1 Rpm 3450, Hp 1 1/2
    This is the 3rd summer with the pool
    SWG - Breeze

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Ugh.. I hate the pool store.. Did my first testing!

Sounds like you have just a little bit of CYA. The 50ppm standard tells me you are doing it right. Great! No CYA monster!

First thing is to get that pH down. Call it 8.2. Aim for 7.5, test 30 min after acid addition.

Then some more FC. Shoot for 3.

Then some CYA. Since you have ~some~ I wouldn't add much, maybe (looks at location) 20.

Let us know if you have any questions!
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

3. Back To Top    #3

So nice to see you and your test kit!

First off look at the CYA tube again. The bottom number is 100 and the top number is 30 soooo you have very little CYA. Sweet!

PH-iy is high. Do you have any muratic acid? If not you will need some. Lowes and such stores sells it. While yiu are there you can get some CYA.

Whrn you get home let us know and we can get you started on adding it.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

I am a complete and utter newbie. I have read pool school but I am still overwhelmed and confused. So my cya isn't high? Sorry if this is stupid but I thought if I could see the dot that was a problem..but its showing not much in my pool so that is why I could still see it. So if there was cya in the pool I wouldn't see the dot right?

Ok so the ph... I can be chemically sensitive so I thought I read that I could use the dry acid? So my chlorine is at a 1 ...this could be because of my ph and ta issues right? I have a swg, so should I manually add it after my ph is good or do I run my swg longer?

Again sorry..it's overwhelming but I will get it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    So nice to see you and your test kit!

First off look at the CYA tube again. The bottom number is 100 and the top number is 30 soooo you have very little CYA. Sweet!

PH-iy is high. Do you have any muratic acid? If not you will need some. Lowes and such stores sells it. While yiu are there you can get some CYA.

Whrn you get home let us know and we can get you started on adding it.

Kim

Ohhhh Lmao...Yes it is. Why I flipped it in my head is beyond me. I think because I did so many test. So I panicked that I had horribly high cya. Well yay. ok so bring down the ph. I will be heading out in a bit. Question, we were supposed to have people over tomorrow to swim. Is that not something I should do until this is fixed?
    SWG - Breeze

5. Back To Top    #5

Itis a easy fast fix....enjoy your pool

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Im trying to use the pool math to figure out how much acid to add.. Do I need to put in all my numbers? Like the total alkalinity? Im not putting a goal for that so I don't know if that skews the data? I am also using 25000 gallons . Although the pool calculator says 35 I believe but everyone said that was high. Reading pool school...it says if I have a swg I should use muriatic. But is it ok to use the dry? I read that muriatic can be tough for the chemically sensitive
    SWG - Breeze

7. Back To Top    #7

You can use the dry. Fill in all numbers the best you can. They interact so all need to be in. Go slow and low. You can always add more if you need to while we figure out your pool size.

8. Back To Top    #8

Thank you kimkats!! I appreciate your help.

Another thing, we have a bunch of shock that we purchased from the pool store. It's paid for . Is it ok to use that to add chlorine if needed so I didn't waste my money?
    SWG - Breeze

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

What kind of "shock"?
    8,500gal plaster in-ground with attached spa, two floor drains, one skimmer. Chlorine, City Water.
    Pentair WhisperFlo 1hp Pump, MagnaTek Midcentury EPlus motor, Pentair CleanNClear 200SF Cartridge filter, Purex Triton MiniMax 250 Gas Heater, Pentair SunLite, AutoFill.
    Kreepy Krauly Cruiser, TF-100 with SpeedStir. :D

10. Back To Top    #10

If the "shock" is dichlor, and since your CYA is low, then that would be fine to use (it will also lower the pH some).
    Some "shock" is trichlor which would also raise FC and CYA and lower pH, but it does not dissolve as fast.
    Other "shock" is cal-hypo which will raise the FC and the CH (which you are not high on yet either).

So, likely you can use what you have.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

11. Back To Top    #11

You can use what every you want. Just use pool math so you know what it will add to your levels. We teach knowledge as in knowing what does what....the shock will......push your fc and cya up how much? I am playing teacher with you right now. You are doing a great job so far!

Kim

12. Back To Top    #12

Ok I have ph decreaser already and it still is good . It is sodium bisulfate?

My shock is dichloro-s-triazinetrione . So I am assuming that is Dichlor. So I can afford that because my CYA is low. I filled the whole thing up during the test and still could see the black dot. So I think that means my CYA is probably close to or at 0?

I am a little confused with the math. I see that in order to get my chlorine( all after the ph is down ) to a minimum of 3 , I would need 12 oz.( by weight) of Dichlor.

So that would raise my FC by 2. Raise my CYA by 1.8 (which I can totally afford ) and lower my ph by .08.

But I should start with the ph decreaser first and put in a little and see where I am at or use the chlorine..that is where I am getting confused. I think I am supposed to lower ph some first.
    SWG - Breeze

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

You're totally correct on the dichlor - it adds CYA which you need. Well done! When you fill up the tube and it doesn't read, that means CYA is somewhere under 20. It could be 0, 6, 10, 12, 17, who knows?!?! So don't assume its 0 just because it doesn't register on the test.

You can't read Ph when the FC level is above 10, so since your plan is to SLAM using dichlor, personally I would go ahead and reduce Ph to 7.5 or a little under, and then let the dichlor hold it down. I suppose the question, which I can't personally answer, is:

Knowing you're SLAMing using dichlor, would it be better to start with a slightly higher Ph to ensure Ph doesn't fall too far while adding tons of dichlor to the pool during your SLAM?
    8,500gal plaster in-ground with attached spa, two floor drains, one skimmer. Chlorine, City Water.
    Pentair WhisperFlo 1hp Pump, MagnaTek Midcentury EPlus motor, Pentair CleanNClear 200SF Cartridge filter, Purex Triton MiniMax 250 Gas Heater, Pentair SunLite, AutoFill.
    Kreepy Krauly Cruiser, TF-100 with SpeedStir. :D

14. Back To Top    #14

Your PH should be around 7.2 for a SLAM. With what you found using Pool Math it will not bet there with the addition of your shock so you need to lower your PH to 7.2.........do it slowly. We can use this to "test" your pool size!

Put how big you think the pool is for the first time of pushing the PH down. Use pool math to find out how much to use to push the PH down 2 ppm. Add in that amount and let it mix for about 15 mins. Brush the pool to help mix it up. Do another test for PH and see what happened. If it did not go down as much as it should have your pool is bigger than you thought. If it goes down too much your pool is smaller than you thought. If it is spot on.......you have the correct size to work with.

Kim

15. Back To Top    #15

Sounds great... Question..For SLAM...is that something I need to do? From what I understand you SLAM for Algae, CC above .5 or if my fc is 0. Mine is 1. This is my confusion. Do I let my swg try to do it's job by decreasing the ph? I am not sure when I need to keep people out of the pool. I was going to start lowering the ph and start there? How long before kids can swim when lowering a ph. I am assuming they shouldn't swim at 8.2? I have people coming tomorrow so was afraid actually SLAM with that going on . Ok ..From what I understand I need to add 4 lbs 8 oz. according to the pool math..When I use the calculator at the bottom it has it reducing it by .48 which doesn't get me down to 7.5. I have 3 lbs of ph down... So think I need to go get more first . Or I can try the 3 lbs and see what that does
    SWG - Breeze

16. Back To Top    #16

If your water is clear and there are no signs of algae then you probably do not need to slam. Do you know what your salt level is? The salt level may be why the SWG is not making enough chlorine. Another possibility is that the cell is dirty/has calcium deposits. It could also be that the cell is working fine but all your FC is burning off since the CYA is so low. I think in your case you should:
    1. Get the pH down, and while you are doing that,
    2. Raise the FC and while you are doing that,
    3. Raise the CYA to at least 30.

Once you have the salt level you can determine if you need to add more or not.

Add about half the acid you think you need then let circulate 10-30 minutes before retesting. Its best to make large adjustments in batches rather than all at once. You can add acid to reduce the pH and 10 minutes later add FC. You can either use the dichlor since you have it or you can add chlorine and CYA separately.

Tonight you can run an overnight chlorine loss test just to make sure there is not a need to slam. If you do need to slam you can start after the guests leave. In the morning after you pull a sample raise the FC to the top of the range for your CYA (or what you expect your CYA to be after any additions).

If you do not need to slam, salt levels are good, and the cell is clean then go ahead and raise the CYA to 70, and maybe turn up the % on the SWG.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by zea3 View Post
    If your water is clear and there are no signs of algae then you probably do not need to slam. Do you know what your salt level is? The salt level may be why the SWG is not making enough chlorine. Another possibility is that the cell is dirty/has calcium deposits. It could also be that the cell is working fine but all your FC is burning off since the CYA is so low. I think in your case you should:

Add about half the acid you think you need then let circulate 10-30 minutes before retesting. Its best to make large adjustments in batches rather than all at once. You can add acid to reduce the pH and 10 minutes later add FC. You can either use the dichlor since you have it or you can add chlorine and CYA separately.

Tonight you can run an overnight chlorine loss test just to make sure there is not a need to slam. If you do need to slam you can start after the guests leave. In the morning after you pull a sample raise the FC to the top of the range for your CYA (or what you expect your CYA to be after any additions).

If you do not need to slam, salt levels are good, and the cell is clean then go ahead and raise the CYA to 70, and maybe turn up the % on the SWG.

My pool is pretty clear. It might have been a touch cloudy. But barely. I do not see any algae. We haven't really had a problem with that this year yet. We WERE going to the pool store. I was told we were low on salt and they had us add one bag at a time. And then when I went back numerous times, they told me I had no salt. So then we had to buy 8 bags . They tested it and said it was now at 3200 ppm. My salt cell definitely had some white stuff on it. Now that we are taking control..we learned we were supposed to clean it. Had no idea. My husband was using the wood stick to scrap it off since my systems manual said not to use muriatic acid. He got a bit of it off but was just saying he was going to try again.

Ok I can do that. I know the dichlor will add to my CYA .
    SWG - Breeze

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by zea3 View Post

Okie dokie..I did what you suggested. My pool math told me to put 4 lbs 8 oz of ph down in. I put 2 . Ten minutes later I added the dichlor( pool math said 12 oz.). So its night now and I can't see the ph test well in the daylight so will have to wait until the morning

Im running my swg a little just to make sure everything is mixing. If I add chlorine, should I let my system run all night or is a couple hours good? Once I get my ph on track. The next step is to watch my fc and cya. I know the dichlor will raise it a bit. My Fc was at 1 and my cya didn't show anything . I am hoping tomorrow morning to be right with the ph ..or at least close and I can add more in. Then I will perform the overnight test to see whats going on. I think I have to get the cya and fc right first? Im trying to do one thing at a time because i am so new to this.
    SWG - Breeze

19. Back To Top    #19

Re: Did my first testing! * Morning numbers update*

Morning guys.... First thank you all for bearing with my questions and helping me. I really appreciate it.

So I put half ( 2 lbs) of the ph down in last night and 12 oz of dichlor. Again I have trouble with the coloring but am pretty sure I am at 7.8 now instead of 8.2. So I know pool math tells me to add 2 more lbs to get to 7.5. So I will do that today and go low and slow again. Maybe add in a pound and see where that gets me.

I also did the fc test . I believe my fc number is now 4 instead of 1. My goal was to go from 1 to 3 and I followed pool math. Does it mean anything that it went up more than it should? It turned clear at 7 drops but I thought it still had a very slight pink tinge so I added another drop . So it's possible its at 3.5 because of error. But I am pretty comfortable that its at 4.

So now my goal is to get my ph to 7.5. Do I test my chlorine again tonight to see if it's holding steady?
    SWG - Breeze

20. Back To Top    #20

Re: Did my first testing! *Updated

Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

See if this helps for the day to day.

For now you need to test and dose the FC at least 3 times a day until you pool is CLEAR as a jewel!

Kim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast