Newbie here, need help getting started!

Jun 17, 2016
TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello all, we are picking up an Intex pool this afternoon. Probably a 24x52, we think. The plans are to give an above ground a test run for a few years before we put in an in-ground. We've never had a pool, so I need some help getting started. I have read through Pool School a few times, but need some advice on getting started. In the long run, what is going to be the cheapest and best, salt or chlorine water? I have 2 kids, ages 8 and 6, and I want to be able to keep the water the safest as possible. I sure do appreciate this site, as it looks like a wealth of knowledge!

Thanks!

A SWG can cost slightly more than using liquid chlorine, however, it is very convenient and you don't have to worry about buying bleach every week and adding bleach every day.

I strongly suggest getting a SWG, however, the size of the SWG should be two to three times the size of the pool otherwise you will have to run your pump longer to reach the necessary FC levels.

I would order up one of the recommended test kits. Pool School - Test Kits Compared TF-100 is the best value. TFTestkits.net If you get a SWG, get the salt test. The speedstir makes testing a breeze.

Read up on Pool School. Ask questions here and we'll help you get your water adjusted. Do not get water tested at the pool store and don't buy any chems from the pool store.

Safe water is not about what equipment you have (as long as you have at least a right-sized pump and filter), but about maintaining (brushing, cleaning the filter and skimmer out in a timely manner, etc) and testing the pool regularly (start with daily tests/adjustments) and adding the appropriate chemicals to ensure the pool is clean and safe to swim in. Salt water systems can be nice, over time, they may save you money, but they also have a large up front cost and sometimes fail expensively. They add chlorine very similar to the bleach we suggest you use to chlorinate if you don't have a SWG system. You may save money with a salt water system over time, or you may not, but both approaches, when used and set correctly, will give you a sparkling, safe pool.

Thanks! Finally got the pool up this morning and it is currently filling with water. I am going to order a TF100 kit, but it looks like it might take a few days to get here. What can I do in the mean time to get started? The kids are aching to get in the pool once it fills up. I do have a sand filter that I am putting together this evening. Should I dump and bleach or acid in to keep it "ok" for the kids to get in and swim? Just don't want to screw this up from the get go.

I would jump in that pool immediately and swim all weekend. :paddle:

It will be fine this weekend.

Add 1/2 jug of 8.25% bleach tonight and 1/2 jug tomorrow night.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.