Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Newbie here, need help getting started!

1. Back To Top    #1

Newbie here, need help getting started!

Hello all, we are picking up an Intex pool this afternoon. Probably a 24x52, we think. The plans are to give an above ground a test run for a few years before we put in an in-ground. We've never had a pool, so I need some help getting started. I have read through Pool School a few times, but need some advice on getting started. In the long run, what is going to be the cheapest and best, salt or chlorine water? I have 2 kids, ages 8 and 6, and I want to be able to keep the water the safest as possible. I sure do appreciate this site, as it looks like a wealth of knowledge!

Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Newbie here, need help getting started!

A SWG can cost slightly more than using liquid chlorine, however, it is very convenient and you don't have to worry about buying bleach every week and adding bleach every day.

I strongly suggest getting a SWG, however, the size of the SWG should be two to three times the size of the pool otherwise you will have to run your pump longer to reach the necessary FC levels.

I would order up one of the recommended test kits. Pool School - Test Kits Compared TF-100 is the best value. TFTestkits.net If you get a SWG, get the salt test. The speedstir makes testing a breeze.

Read up on Pool School. Ask questions here and we'll help you get your water adjusted. Do not get water tested at the pool store and don't buy any chems from the pool store.
    Karen
    33K IG w spa plaster, Pentair 1HP Whisperflo, DE Filter, SWG CircuPool RJ-60, Dolphin Triton Plus, Raypak Dig 336K BTU, TF-100.
    Pool Math Chlorine / CYA Chart SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    2017 replaster/retile

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Safe water is not about what equipment you have (as long as you have at least a right-sized pump and filter), but about maintaining (brushing, cleaning the filter and skimmer out in a timely manner, etc) and testing the pool regularly (start with daily tests/adjustments) and adding the appropriate chemicals to ensure the pool is clean and safe to swim in. Salt water systems can be nice, over time, they may save you money, but they also have a large up front cost and sometimes fail expensively. They add chlorine very similar to the bleach we suggest you use to chlorinate if you don't have a SWG system. You may save money with a salt water system over time, or you may not, but both approaches, when used and set correctly, will give you a sparkling, safe pool.
    8,500gal plaster in-ground with attached spa, two floor drains, one skimmer. Chlorine, City Water.
    Pentair WhisperFlo 1hp Pump, MagnaTek Midcentury EPlus motor, Pentair CleanNClear 200SF Cartridge filter, Purex Triton MiniMax 250 Gas Heater, Pentair SunLite, AutoFill.
    Kreepy Krauly Cruiser, TF-100 with SpeedStir. :D

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Rookie22 View Post
    salt or chlorine water?
    Just to make sure you're straight on the chemistry, salt is chlorine water. With a salt water system you're generating your own chlorine from the salt. Both systems use a level of chlorine to sanitize.

-Tim

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks! Finally got the pool up this morning and it is currently filling with water. I am going to order a TF100 kit, but it looks like it might take a few days to get here. What can I do in the mean time to get started? The kids are aching to get in the pool once it fills up. I do have a sand filter that I am putting together this evening. Should I dump and bleach or acid in to keep it "ok" for the kids to get in and swim? Just don't want to screw this up from the get go.

6. Back To Top    #6

I would jump in that pool immediately and swim all weekend.

It will be fine this weekend.

Add 1/2 jug of 8.25% bleach tonight and 1/2 jug tomorrow night.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach