Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Threaded PVC Connection Leaking

1. Back To Top    #1

Threaded PVC Connection Leaking

Hello,

I just finished running PVC to my filter / pump on my AGP install. I used T plus 2 on the threads before connecting but it still seems to have a slight leak. Is there another way I should be sealing the threads for this connection? All of my glued connections and unions are leak free (after I had to fix two). Thank you in advance for your help!

15'x24'x52" Saltwater 5000 Oval AGP, Hayward S180 Sand Filter / 1.5 HP Power Flo Pump, Hayward AquaTrol Chlorinator, TF-100 + Taylor K-1766

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Threaded PVC Connection Leaking

The joint looks pretty good. Is there a chance you over tightened it? It can crack but it can also just be plain too tight and the threads bottom out and screw up the joint.

I would remake that joint. Clean it well, screw it in. turn it about 1/2 more than hand tight and then turn on the pump. If it is not leaking, leave it alone. If it leaks, tighten it ever so slowly until it stops.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    The joint looks pretty good. Is there a chance you over tightened it? It can crack but it can also just be plain too tight and the threads bottom out and screw up the joint.

I would remake that joint. Clean it well, screw it in. turn it about 1/2 more than hand tight and then turn on the pump. If it is not leaking, leave it alone. If it leaks, tighten it ever so slowly until it stops.
    Thanks Dave! I will give it another shot tonight. I am getting good at gluing the PVC...
    15'x24'x52" Saltwater 5000 Oval AGP, Hayward S180 Sand Filter / 1.5 HP Power Flo Pump, Hayward AquaTrol Chlorinator, TF-100 + Taylor K-1766

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

What type of thread sealant dd you use?
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Before you cut it up, loosen the union and screw the whole piece out. Using Teflon tape only, wrap all but the bottom 2 threads twice and then re-tighten per Dave's comments. Also, while removing the piece be mindful of the angle of the 90 (where it is pointing; 9 o'clock, 3 o'clock, etc.) when the threads disengage the mutliport valve. To do this gently pull the piece out while unscrewing - you will feel it "let go" when the threads disengage. Place the piece in the same orientation when re-threading it. Hopefully this will land your union in the same place.

Hayward recommends teflon tape only and notes paste may allow over tightening and could crack their fittings.

- - - Updated - - -

Danpik - he used T plus 2 (had to google it myself). RectorSeal® T Plus 2® - RectorSeal
    16' x 32' (21100 gal), vinyl, 1.5 hp Hayward SuperPump,
    Tagelus TA60/60D Sand Filter, Raypak 399K Digital Heater, TF-100

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by danpik View Post
    What type of thread sealant dd you use?
    This is what I used on the threads.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pool Tool View Post
    Before you cut it up, loosen the union and screw the whole piece out. Using Teflon tape only, wrap all but the bottom 2 threads twice and then re-tighten per Dave's comments. Also, while removing the piece be mindful of the angle of the 90 (where it is pointing; 9 o'clock, 3 o'clock, etc.) when the threads disengage the mutliport valve. To do this gently pull the piece out while unscrewing - you will feel it "let go" when the threads disengage. Place the piece in the same orientation when re-threading it. Hopefully this will land your union in the same place.

Hayward recommends teflon tape only and notes paste may allow over tightening and could crack their fittings.

- - - Updated - - -

Danpik - he used T plus 2 (had to google it myself). RectorSeal® T Plus 2® - RectorSeal

PT, you think I should just use the tape? This paste made it very easy to put the fitting in. Hopefully I didn't crack anything

7. Back To Top    #7

This excerpt was taken from Hayward's Super Pump manual (https://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/man...uperPump.pdf):

Plumbing
    Use Teflon tape to seal threaded connections on molded plastic components. All plastic fittings must be new or thoroughly cleaned before use. NOTE - Do NOT use Plumber’s Pipe Dope as it may cause cracking of the plastic components. When applying Teflon tape to plastic threads, wrap the entire threaded portion of the male fitting with one to two layers of tape. Wind the tape clockwise as you face the open end of the fitting, beginning at the end of the fitting. The pump suction and outlet ports have molded-in thread stops. Do NOT attempt to force hose connector fitting past this stop. It is only necessary to tighten fittings enough to prevent leakage. Tighten fitting by hand and then use a tool to engage fitting an additional 1 turns. Use care when using Teflon tape as friction is reduced considerably; do NOT over-tighten fitting or you may cause damage. If leaks occur, remove connector, clean off old Teflon tape, re-wrap with one to two additional layers of Teflon tape, and re-install connector.
    16' x 32' (21100 gal), vinyl, 1.5 hp Hayward SuperPump,
    Tagelus TA60/60D Sand Filter, Raypak 399K Digital Heater, TF-100

8. Back To Top    #8

I have had trouble in the past using cheap pipe sealer tape. Some of that stuff is only about 2.5 mills thick so you need more that a couple of turns to get a good seal. I now use some tape that I found at Lowes marked premium heavy duty for water pipes and have had good luck with it. It is gray colored and is 6.5 mills thick. Just a heads up.
    38000 Gal, IG, Plaster, 20' x 40' x 10', Attached Raised Spa, Intelliflo VS 3 HP (011018), Pentair Quad DE 60 Filter, Raypak (Rheem) 400,000 BTU (407a low Nox), Easy Touch 8 upgrade, Screenlogic 2 with wireless, IS-4 Spa Side Remote, Stenner 45MPHP10 w/15 gal tank, Intellibrite 5g (3), Dolphin Triton Plus robot with PRO remote, Water Tech Catfish handheld vacuum for spa, TF100 with SpeedStir.

9. Back To Top    #9

That is one of the great debates, tape vs dope. You tried the dope and it leaked. Go for some tape.

And thanks for supporting TFP!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    That is one of the great debates, tape vs dope. You tried the dope and it leaked. Go for some tape.

And thanks for supporting TFP!
    Tape is the winner!!! No leaks working great! Found a post on here that recommended the pipe dope so I thought I was ahead of the game... Thank you everyone for your replies!!

11. Back To Top    #11

Alright! Must be the weekend!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

12. Back To Top    #12

I like tape and then sealant on top of the tape.