Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Blue but cloudy water

1. Back To Top    #1

Blue but cloudy water

Having trouble figuring out what is happening. Opened pool late this year due to broken pump and waited for part. Been shocking the snot out of it for a week and water is still cloudy. Started the SLAM technique the other day but not seeing any results yet.

26ft Round Above-ground
    12000 Gal
    SWG

FC- 10+
    CC -
    Ph- 7.2
    TA- 90
    TH- 150
    CYA - 30
    Salt- 3400

12K AG, Vinyl Round Pool, Sand Filter, Pentair SWG, Doughboy Power-line Pump-HP 1.5, Omaha/ NE

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Blue but cloudy water

Hi, welcome!
    First of all what test kit are you using? If you could add that to your signature (thanks for filling out your pool info!) that would be awesome.

Also, if you could put your location in that would be great too.
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

3. Back To Top    #3

Taylor K-2006 test kit
    Taylor saltwater test kit

Location is Omaha, NE if that's what your looking for

12K AG, Vinyl Round Pool, Sand Filter, Pentair SWG, Doughboy Power-line Pump-HP 1.5, Omaha/ NE

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Great!

Some SLAMS take 2-3 weeks. If you started "the other day" you might just need some time.

How often are you testing and adding FC? Brushing at least once a day? CC would be a good number to track.
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL

5. Back To Top    #5

Tested FC this am but it seemed to be so high so I didn't do a complete FC/CC test (didn't want to use all my test chemicals) hopefully it will drop a bit during the day that I could track CC tonight

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bruce View Post
    Great!

Some SLAMS take 2-3 weeks. If you started "the other day" you might just need some time.

How often are you testing and adding FC? Brushing at least once a day? CC would be a good number to track.
    Thanks for the quick Responses BTW!

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

No problem.

You may want to read the SLAM article again Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

Here are some highlights:
    You want to bring FC to the SLAM level for your CYA, which is 12 (not 10+ )
    You want to test more than twice a day and less than once an hour.
    CC that's just 5 drops of 003 (? memory) and a few drops of 871?

8. Back To Top    #8

For your SLAM you should be targeting 12FC. You should be testing and using Pool Math to calculate additions of chlorine. Don't add so much that you end up with chlorine levels that "seemed to be so high so I didn't do a complete FC/CC test". We call this nuclear additions of chlorine. "Nuking" the pool with large amounts of chlorine ends up wasting much of the chlorine as it burns off in the sun quicker and can damage pool parts, especially vinyl pool liners.

Try to stick with calculated doses of chlorine.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

9. Back To Top    #9

Ok I do have a SWG, why does it say in the SLAM that my Shock level should be anywhere from 24-31 depending on my CYA level?

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

This chart is the foundation. I recommend often that people print it out and leave it where they test. I have it taped to the inside cabinet door. It's very important to understand and use Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

Please let us know if the chart doesn't make sense

You should turn your SWG off for the duration of the SLAM also.
    Last edited by Mr Bruce; 06-17-2016 at 08:28 AM. Reason: speling

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by bfuhrman7 View Post
    Ok I do have a SWG, why does it say in the SLAM that my Shock level should be anywhere from 24-31 depending on my CYA level?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That is the general Recommended Levels Chart which includes pH, TA, CH etc., for chlorine we have a very specific chart - Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

12. Back To Top    #12

Blue but cloudy water

UPDATE -
    Got home and tested

FC- 4
    CC- 1
    PH- 7.0
    TA- 100
    CH- 175
    CA- 30
    NACL- 3400

12000 Gal round
    SWG- Off
    Omaha NE

Still cloudy and In the process of SLAMing, should I add more liquid chlorine tonight?

13. Back To Top    #13

Blue but cloudy water

Here is an example of what the water color and cloudiness looks like

14. Back To Top    #14

ANOTHER UPDATE on my SLAM - Thanks for any advice or encouragement

FC - 10
    CC - 1
    PH - 7.2
    TA - 100
    CH - 150
    CYA - 40
    NACL - 3400

FC was up but my CYA was up from last time probably because I had recently dropped this in the skimmer the other day. So according to POOL SCHOOL i needed to up FC to 16ppm so I did that with LC before coming in for the evening. Still cloudy (i know this wont change instantly) will check results in the AM and update here.