First TF-100 Test Results- Now What?

Jsay44

Jun 15, 2016
Spencer, NY
Hi all, I'm a new member here and also a first time owner of a test kit which happens to be a TF-100 that I ordered after seeing it here. In the past we relied on the pool store to test our water and supply us with what they told us we needed. We have decided to take more of a hands-on approach to maintaining our pool in order to potentially limit the wide array of chemicals that we have used in the past.

I believe that the following test results are spot on however a person with experience may notice something doesn't add up and have some advice for me. Please feel free as any input is welcome!

FC= .5
PH= 7.5
TA= 160
CH= 125
CYA= 0

Being new to this game, other than raising the CYA I'm really confused on how to move forward. How do I raise the CYA and how much product do I need for a 16,000gal pool?

Thank you,
Jeff

You can get CYA at Lowes or Walmart or the pool store. It is also called stabilizer but if you look at the ingredients you will see 96 or 100% cyanuric acid. You will want about 3 lbs to get your pool to around 30 which is about where you want to be. Add it in a sock in front of a return and base your chlorine levels on your target CYA but realize it won't show up on a test for a week or so.

Is the water clear?

If so get your chlorine up to around 3 PPM and don't let it fall below that.

Your TA is a bit high but i will let someone else address it as i have always had stable TA and never messed with it so i can't help with it.

Jeff, welcome to TFP! :wave: You've made a very wise choice with that TF-100. I think SoF's question about your current water condition will drive what you do next. If your water is crystal clear with no hints of cloudiness or algae, then sure, raise FC to at least 3 ppm, ideal target around 4, and keep your pH in that same mid-7 range. The CYA will also be increased as well. If your water is cloudy however and we suspect a "SLAM" will be required, then you'll first lower pH to about 7.2 then increase CYA to 30, and FC to "12" and maintain that FC until you pass the 3 SLAM criteria.

So one of those paths will be for you based on your water condition. And if ever in doubt about algae, you can perform am overnight (OCLT) test as well.

When you are ready to try and lower TA, you'll do so using the acid/aeration method as noted on the TFP Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity page.

Have a great day!

Thanks for the quick replies folks! I really appreciate all of your guidance and will also review the links that you have shared.

The water clarity is slightly off, does this automatically warrant a SLAM or would I be better off performing an OCLT tonight?

I would raise FC to 3 immediately. I would get some CYA in there, shoot for 20-25. Then around sundown, raise the FC to 10. Confirm in 30 minutes. Then test it in the morning before the sun comes up.

Water clarity "slightly off" means different things to different people :)

OK folks, with the help that I've received here our pool water is nice and clear and looking great and we are very thankful! Chemistry was never one of my strong points years ago and I'm starting to remember why...

Below are our latest test readings, now what and how?

FC= .5
CC= 2.5
PH= 7.3
TA= 170
CYA= 30

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes. Did you see in the slam article how your CC needs to be 0.5 or less?

The only chemical you need to add now is chlorine. You need to get your FC up to 12 and keep it there as often as possible. After your slam you can deal with the TA.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.