Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Converting to Chlorine from Baqua

1. Back To Top    #1

Converting to Chlorine from Baqua

I am trying to convert from Baqua and having trouble! I purchased a product called Exchange to convert and followed directions on the bottle. I have a 24 ft round and 4 ft deep Doughboy pool. Our DE filter seems to gain pressure quickly. We have had to take it apart 3 times already and throughly clean it. It actually was just 36 hrs this time before the pressure went up! That was great as it had been maybe 12 the other times. Just backwashed now so will see how it goes. My water looks like Mountain Dew! My test sticks show no chlorine! I have added a gallon at a time about every other day for a week. Should I keep adding more chlorine? I also have added stabilizer in the amount my pool guys told me too. Getting frustrated with this process and kids are dying to swim. Any ideas?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Converting to Chlorine from Baqua

Welcome to TFP! Good to have you here

I have no experience in this. You have probably already found this, but here's an article in Pool School Pool School - Convert Your Baqua Pool to Chlorine

Someone with experience will be along to help pretty soon
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome...Follow the steps in the post that @needsajet linked.

First things first though, get yourself a recommended test kit (linked in my signature). Your success and ease of conversion are more or less predicated on that.

(Once your pH is adjusted to 7.2) You should only have to add liquid chlorine to your water and lots of it. You're getting frustrated because you are not adding enough Chlorine fast enough. However without a kit, you won't know how much each dose should be. Stop using test strips. They are less than accurate at best and don't add anymore stabilizer. The more you add, the higher level of FC you'll have to maintain. Essentially, you'll be doing a medium to large scale SLAM.

One more thing. I don't have any experience with a DE filter and limited knowledge, but if you can circulate the water while bypassing the filter (at least initially), you won't have to clean and re-clean the filter as often.
    Chris
    17' x 35' outdoor in-ground Grecian shaped w/ vinyl liner. ≈ 21,000 gallons. Hayward S-200 Sand Filter and 1 HP Hayward Super-pump. Other Accessories: slide, light, ladder, fiberglass stairs, TF-100. Baquacil Conversion - June 2015, SLAM How-to, Chlorine/CYA Chart

4. Back To Top    #4

How much stabilizer have you added?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

I've added 4 lbs.. It's not all dissolved yet!

6. Back To Top    #6

I also just added another gallon of chlorine. What does slamming with chlorine translate into for amounts?

7. Back To Top    #7

Chris, Where can I get the test kit? I can't seem to finds your signature so can't see the test kit you posted. I would order one today if I knew what to get. Would it be on Amazon? Thanks so much for your help!

8. Back To Top    #8

TFTestkits.net

You can order there. Add the XL option for sure, and speed stirrer if you can swing it.
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners

9. Back To Top    #9

Order a TF100 and at least include the XL option. That will give you what you need while you are clearing the pool, and probably enough reagents for a couple of years normal use.

I also have the SpeedStir and Sample Sizer. They speed testing and accuracy.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

10. Back To Top    #10

I have no financial interest in TF Test Kits, and the K2006C is another good option. TF is an active advocate of TFP. If you're thinking of becoming a TFP supporter, you can make a modest tax deductible donation to TFP and get a discount at TF Test Kits.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Skimama69 View Post
    Chris, Where can I get the test kit? I can't seem to finds your signature so can't see the test kit you posted. I would order one today if I knew what to get. Would it be on Amazon? Thanks so much for your help!
    The link for a TF-100 is in my signature, but here's another link. It runs about $70, but once you complete the conversion, the TFP method will save you $$thousands in the seasons to come.

I go through a case of 12.5% concentrated liquid chlorine in just over a week ($11.96/case) and unless I am vacuuming, I spend less than 5 min/day on pool maintenance. Compare that to Baquacil Sanitizer (close to $40 for 1/2 gallon, even if it's an off-brand), Oxidizer ($30/case), Algaecide ($20/qt.) and test strips ($10-$15) that don't work, and the $70 for the TF-100 pays for itself inside of a month.
    Chris
    17' x 35' outdoor in-ground Grecian shaped w/ vinyl liner. ≈ 21,000 gallons. Hayward S-200 Sand Filter and 1 HP Hayward Super-pump. Other Accessories: slide, light, ladder, fiberglass stairs, TF-100. Baquacil Conversion - June 2015, SLAM How-to, Chlorine/CYA Chart

12. Back To Top    #12

Thanks Chris. I ordered the test kit so it's on the way. I'm hoping it will help clear my pool that looks like Mountain Dew today. Really appreciate your help.