Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ants near skimmer - dropping sand into skimmer

1. Back To Top    #1

Ants near skimmer - dropping sand into skimmer

We've always had ants around our concrete pool deck but this year they have gotten right next to one of the skimmers. They are dumping a lot of dirt / sand into the skimmer as there is a small gap where they can come through. Any ideas on how to get rid of them without putting poison into my pool water? Anything natural that can go into pool water that will drive them away?
    18,000 gallon in ground vinyl pool. Sand filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Ants near skimmer - dropping sand into skimmer

I use poison.... Can't help. The buggers survive the poison but do move their nests further away from the pool. We have a truce.

3. Back To Top    #3

Diatomaceous Earth? That's what we use to kill our beds but it's not effective on the ants once it gets wet. We also use boric acid traps. As far as I understand it both would be safe for the pool...

Started 5/31/16. 38'x23', 618 sqft., <14,000 gallons, 8' spa.Travertine coping. Raised beam w/3 sheers. Large sunshelf w/3 bubblers. SWG IC40, Pentair VSP, 520 cartridge, color LED lights, Easy-touch, screen logic, Maytronics S300i robot, and Wet Edge Prism Matrix finish (Deep Sea Blue with Indigo plaster). Build Thread: Another in Texas - Cypress Texas | MUD District | HOA Approval | Great Escapes Pools

4. Back To Top    #4

I had the same problem for the first time this year. I sprayed Home Defense inside the skimmer, along the deck and coping joint and around the edge of the pool deck adjacent to the skimmer lid. That was a few weeks ago and they are still gone even after lots of rain.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

For a truly poison free solution, if you know where the nest is- pour boiling water on it.
    12500 AGP 2HP Sand filter
    Five years on BBB & loving it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Ants near skimmer - dropping sand into skimmer

Quote Originally Posted by heikejohn View Post
    For a truly poison free solution, if you know where the nest is- pour boiling water on it.
    We've done that many times but they end up popping back up in other areas of the yard. It would be very effective if they just needed to be removed from near the skimmer though. Maybe doing that and setting some homemade boric acid traps would eliminate them permanently - for awhile.

Started 5/31/16. 38'x23', 618 sqft., <14,000 gallons, 8' spa.Travertine coping. Raised beam w/3 sheers. Large sunshelf w/3 bubblers. SWG IC40, Pentair VSP, 520 cartridge, color LED lights, Easy-touch, screen logic, Maytronics S300i robot, and Wet Edge Prism Matrix finish (Deep Sea Blue with Indigo plaster). Build Thread: Another in Texas - Cypress Texas | MUD District | HOA Approval | Great Escapes Pools

7. Back To Top    #7

Interesting. So it's really ok to spray Home Defense (or other ant killer sprays) right into the pool basically? I just thought it wouldn't be safe to swim in after that. So I am wrong?
    18,000 gallon in ground vinyl pool. Sand filter.

8. Back To Top    #8

I've had good luck with Advion ant gel. It's a bait that they love. They take the bait back to the colony and kill more of them.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat