Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SWG. Little help with the basics please.

1. Back To Top    #1

SWG. Little help with the basics please.

We've got an inground pool with a little over 44,000 gals. Wanting to make the switch to a salt system but need to understand this better.
    Hayward's largest SWG is listed as a 40,000 gal cap. Pentair has a 60,000 gal SWG. I like the extra capacity and it's the only unit I've seen that's larger than my needs. Is it really my only option or am I missing something?
    Does anyone have any history with using the controller's and actuator valves to control solar panels? Is there any evidence that it's better to have separate controller's for each?
    Thanks in advance for your thoughts and ideas.
    tenndoc
    tenndoc
    44,000 gal IG, Hayward maxflo vs, tagelus t60 sand filter, Taylor test kit, diy solar panels for heating pool water, full size solar blanket to keep the heat we get and of course -
    'More fun than you can shake a stick at'

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SWG. Little help with the basics please.

Circupool makes a larger SWG also, 60k I think.

Solar controllers are great. Mandatory in my opinion for efficient solar heating. The IC60 doesn't need a controller, it has a built in control panel.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Pentair, CircuPool, and Auto Pilot all make SWG's for your pool size.

Solar controllers are the only way to go in my opinion. You made the investment for the heat gain, you should spend just a little bit more to automate it to get the most out of it.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks.
    Does anyone have a particular favorite?
    I've been looking at the Pentair IC60 with controller so I can automate my solar panels. Just going back and forth between bundling everything on one controller or separating them. (Controller's) Pros and cons with each. Which is why I turned to the forum. Opinions abound usually.
    As always, thanks to everyone for their time.

5. Back To Top    #5

I am starting season 5 with my Pentair IC40 and it has worked great. I will buy another one when this one fails. I've had my Pentair Solartouch installed for 3 years now and it made a big difference in my heat gain because it closes the solar valve when it rains or gets cloudy or windy. So it gives more heat gain and less heat loss.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

Hayward makes SWG that can be run in parallel to give you tremendous capacity.

You want extra capaticy for your SWG. Most here would say the Pentair IC 60 is the correct size for your pool. SWG and filters should be oversized for a pool.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by tenndoc View Post
    Thanks.
    Does anyone have a particular favorite?
    I've been looking at the Pentair IC60 with controller so I can automate my solar panels. Just going back and forth between bundling everything on one controller or separating them. (Controller's) Pros and cons with each. Which is why I turned to the forum. Opinions abound usually.
    As always, thanks to everyone for their time.
    One controller to operate everything is ideal and Pentair is an excellent choice.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

8. Back To Top    #8

You've received great advice. Get the 60K size for SWG and definitely use a solar controller to save heat and money.
    COMPLETED BUILD THREAD - 15'x29' rectangular offset shotcrete pool; 14,100 gal; 5'x7' raised spa with 400k btu fire feature; 7' spillover; 25' leuder stone raised bond wall w/waterfall; Pentair SWG; Pentair VS (pool); Pentair 3/4hp feature pump; 1hp spa blower; Pentair Cartridge filter; Pentair “Easy Touch 8” wireless; Dolphin Oasis Z5 robot; Solar Hydronics iSwim solar panels; Mansard Screen Enclosure; walnut travertine deck; 1 very happy kiddo.

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

I agree, I love circupool for SWG but if you are automating sticking with pentair is a GREAT choice, it will all work together and have the least amount of headache later on
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

10. Back To Top    #10

I use a easytouch to control swg and solar. Without solar automation, my water would get too hot. IMO, automation is a must fir solar.
    Matt
    2016 Pool Build: 12k IG Blue Granite Pebblesheen, Travertine Coping & Pavers, Pentair IntelliFlo, Intellichlor, Easytouch, Clean & Clear 320, Heliocol Solar - TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    SWG Run Time Calculator

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks everyone! You guys are awesome! This response is exactly what I was hoping to hear. My choice will be a bit easier knowing others are pleased with the bundled systems.
    Thanks again for your time and effort!
    tenndoc
    44,000 gal IG, Hayward maxflo vs, tagelus t60 sand filter, Taylor test kit, diy solar panels for heating pool water, full size solar blanket to keep the heat we get and of course -
    'More fun than you can shake a stick at'