13 June 2024 Update: Start up and Florida Rainy Season is Here!

Engineering Notes -

“All gas tubing shall be Grade 4 seamless titanium tubing with all weld joints cold-worked to develop a uniaxial microstructure in accordance with the ASTM B338 standard. No substitutions permitted unless preapproved by homeowner.”

Why no open fastener boxes?

To assure different fasteners we’re not mixed together?
Yep, not that they'd do it on purpose but many would. The fasteners I spec'd were different alloy than most use to avoid dissimilar corrosion at fastener aluminum frame. Many of the workers have no idea what is correct they just look for one that looks about the right size. With all fresh boxes I (or my QA wife) can check every box easily.

Yep, not that they'd do it on purpose but many would. The fasteners I spec'd were different alloy than most use to avoid dissimilar corrosion at fastener aluminum frame. Many of the workers have no idea what is correct they just look for one that looks about the right size. With all fresh boxes I (or my QA wife) can check every box easily.
Plus all my neighbors wanted to know why I didn't have any ugly rust stains... I take a lot of abuse about being an engineer, it's nice to show it works every now and then. The amount of abuse is directly proportional to how good of an engineer you are. I don't get too much but I bet @JamesW gets a LOT!

Chris

Feb 22 Update: Dig done and wall gunite flashed

Folks,

It took a few more yards than I thought but looks like we've protected the wall from flaking off and I might have a 1 week delay after form work is complete. So I will likely have to get through some rainy days. I'm very happy with my gunite contractor. The 3 short-listed companies were all excellent. Price difference was negligible so this fell to other selection criteria:
  • Amount of equipment
  • Age and maintenance of equipment
  • "Fit" with the operations people. My contact is the plant manager in this area. I started staying in touch with him twice per week several weeks ago. Part of their offering was "flashing" at no added trip charge just incremental yards. I told him last week I'd need some and spoke with him several times yesterday and today to coordinate.
Here's what it looks like now:

1708639293824.jpeg

Quite an operation out front
1708639387912.jpeg

Thinking back on the day - Ed Merrill, "people do projects"

One of the world's renowned experts in project management made the simple statement "people do projects". Understanding how to make people into a team is a big deal and gives you a leg up on results. So how do we do that on a pool? When we built our house and out boat and on the pool we try to build little teams. Best way to do this I've found is to get together for lunch break. We provide sandwiches or pizza or whatever makes sense and we "meet up". We introduced the different crews to each other at the start to get interfaces addressed and also made sure our expectation was we'll work together for a short time and all be proud of what we accomplish. So today's team was a big group. The excavation crew, the forming/steel crew, and the gunite crew. All it took was sharing a few minutes for a meal. See the photo below of today's pretty good team:

1708640705543.jpeg

Just want to also pass along thanks to all the people at TFP that have helped, advised, and encouraged us over a rather difficult year to finally get us to the point we can now see ourselves as pool owners in the not to distant future. And guess what? We got another reminder now that equipment is starting to arrive. Look what came today:

RJ 60 3.1 #/hr monster!
1708641028178.jpeg

Just want to also pass along thanks to all the people at TFP that have helped, advised, and encouraged us over a rather difficult year to finally get us to the point we can now see ourselves as pool owners in the not to distant future. And guess what? We got another reminder now that equipment is starting to arrive. Look what came today:

RJ 60 3.1 #/hr monster!
View attachment 555087

Did UPS kick the box all the way to your home ??

That was their Ultra Premium “White Glove” Delivery Service.

You should see their regular delivery service.

Inside Precision*** - Provides white glove services seamlessly integrated with UPS transportation networks for time definite inside pickup or delivery of high value products. Our professional crews can meet your delivery challenges and manage on-site shipments, complete door-to-door service, unpacking, setup, and inside delivery

https://www.upsexpresscritical.com/cfw/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lM3SRG7D21Y

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That was their Ultra Premium “White Glove” Delivery Service.

You should see their regular delivery service.

UPS Express Critical*

UPS Express Critical® provides a broad range of urgent transportation options ranging from lightweight to heavyweight shipments around the world.

As a global leader in time-sensitive shipments, we can provide you with access to virtually any kind of aircraft or vehicle around the world.

With a full suite of global, urgent transportation services, we have the ability to optimize solutions for nearly every shipment. Our experienced team can quickly assess a critical situation, identify transportation alternatives and implement a delivery solution that meets your time and cost requirements. UPS Express Critical Services include:

Air - Next-flight-out service within North America, Europe** and between major metropolitan areas worldwide

Surface - Exclusive use, non-stop, door-to-door ground transportation throughout the U.S., into Canada, Mexico and Europe**

Charter - Air charter management services available around the world

Hand Carry - Dedicated courier assigned to maintain in-transit, end-to-end physical possession of your shipment

International - Next-flight-out, charter and courier services providing extensive global coverage

Secure*** - When your shipment requires added security to ensure it arrives safely and remains intact. Our experienced staff can create a solution that meets your needs, for virtually any size shipment

Inside Precision*** - Provides white glove services seamlessly integrated with UPS transportation networks for time definite inside pickup or delivery of high value products. Our professional crews can meet your delivery challenges and manage on-site shipments, complete door-to-door service, unpacking, setup, and inside delivery

Value Added Services*** - Specialized equipment and shipment handling designed to meet your domestic or international freight needs

UPS Express Critical can make a difference in your organization's time-sensitive shipping activities. Leveraging our extensive logistics and communications network, our team can handle a one-time urgent shipment or create a customized, high-priority solution based on your requirements.

It looks more like their “Back of Mule” service … and the mule drop-kicked it from the street to the door …

So I’m a stickler for package delivery damage (there’s a long winded, @Dirk -level story as to why that is that I won’t post here) . I once ordered a set of very nice double-walled vacuum insulated glass espresso cups … when they arrived it was basically a box full of glass grit. Easily fixable with an Amazon Return but a sad delay. I would unbox the CircuPool equipment and visually inspect everything with lots of pictures as you go. Then I would report any damage, even to the carton, to CircuPool customer support with a read-receipt on the email. You have no way of testing the equipment for months and you want to make sure every aspect of the delivery is covered in case a warranty replacement is needed. A timestamped and dated paper trail ensures your protection against loss. I would even take a picture of the shipping label and send some pictures to the delivery company informing them that the box was significantly damaged during shipping and they may be liable for any future warranty costs.

That delivery is UNACCEPTABLE in my opinion.

That delivery is UNACCEPTABLE in my opinion.
My intelliflo came banged up, with the bottom of the box destroyed and the rest of it sitting over the pump like a tent. The packing didn't do squat to protect it either. It was worrisome with a delayed build because it wasn't getting hooked up anytime soon to prove it was OK. Luckily it fired right up.

Screenshot_20240223_065252_Gallery.jpg

Reactions: JamesW
Yep,
Getting delivery on this was a real pain! USPS lost it, then sent it to the wrong annex, then when they finally delivered it we weren't here so they took it back to the post office. After that we called and asked them to deliver this Saturday. Luckily my wife saw our mail man and she stopped to talk to him about the package. He hadn't heard anything and had the package with him again! So she signed for it and he delivered it to our door. Our mailman is fantastic! The place he works for has some real challenges.

By the way, I was wondering who would notice the damage. I thought it was 50/50 @JoyfulNoise or @JamesW ... just say'in.

Chris

PS I did open and carefully examine everything... it's all good. At least no observable physical damage.

Yep,
Getting delivery on this was a real pain! USPS lost it, then sent it to the wrong annex, then when they finally delivered it we weren't here so they took it back to the post office. After that we called and asked them to deliver this Saturday. Luckily my wife saw our mail man and she stopped to talk to him about the package. He hadn't heard anything and had the package with him again! So she signed for it and he delivered it to our door. Our mailman is fantastic! The place he works for has some real challenges.

By the way, I was wondering who would notice the damage. I thought it was 50/50 @JoyfulNoise or @JamesW ... just say'in.

Chris

PS I did open and carefully examine everything... it's all good. At least no observable physical damage.

It’s a pet-peeve of mine. Plenty of bad shipping experiences to draw on. Even with damaged outer boxes, 90% of them are fine. It just seeing the crushed corners and torn boxes makes me mad 😠.

Whoops I posted several updates to the wrong thread. Here's one of them:
24 Feb Update

We've had 1 1/2 days of excavation and 1 1/2 days of forming. The trend continues for me. The smaller the project the more I learn! It's been over 40 years since I got to do the field construction management for the house year before last and now the pool. I've always said those were the most fun parts of my career and it's great to be finishing up doing what I love to do. I'm very fortunate. We've got a great team of pool crafts working on this job and superb extended team supporting at TFP with super smart technical people and at least one lady that seems to have a direct connection for prayer support!

We should have all the wire and forming completed mid next week and be ready for final inspection. So I'm lining up to shoot gunite a week from this coming Monday. We have to leave this Sunday for some minor medical stuff in Houston next week but should be back before the planned shoot. I'm very comfortable the lead guy with my forming sub will do a great job to make sure we finish with quality and on time. Robbi with Malone Forming and Steel has essentially been leading both crews from the start. He'll send the photos and I'll re-post as we go.

Chris

Folks,

Need a little help on bubblers. I have 3 alternatives Hayward Color Logic, Pentair color vision with globrites, or CMP? What say you smart people?

Chris

Folks,

Need a little help on bubblers. I have 3 alternatives Hayward Color Logic, Pentair color vision with globrites, or CMP? What say you smart people?

Chris
Bubbler lights need to be compatible with your automation light control and other pool lights.

Reactions: setsailsoon

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support