Pool access gate width

Titan7

LifeTime Supporter
May 9, 2015
Peoria, AZ
Regs say the access gate max width is 48". Does that mean the actual gate or the width between the posts? As you know there is a difference, there is about 1/4 - 1/2" between the posts and the actual gate frame.

I can't find the Fulterton rule on gates. But I find it difficult to believe the max size is 48" If it is that's a Fulterton rule which exists I suspect to prevent people from parking their RV in the backyard. Its not a California rule regarding pools.

I would ask over the counter and have the counter person check with the supervisor.

I suspect its the width between the posts. And they don't care about less than an inch.

Thanks, I am going with the width between the posts so I will make the wall opening smaller. My choices are a rough opening of 52" or 45" for the block to look correct using 16" slump block so it's either (1) 16" block on one side or 1 (16) and 1 half block. The gate uses 1.5" square steel posts, so the net opening is either 49" or 42" (post to post).

Not going take a chance of further delays over 1" as I don't know which inspector will show up so I will just do the smaller gate.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.