Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: chlorine Dilemma

1. Back To Top    #1

chlorine Dilemma

I know this has been discussed numerous times and I tried searching the forums to get a clear answer but just wanted some advice. I have a hayward chlorinator sitting in my garage waiting to be installed but then I stopped by my local pool store and noticed these 3" chlorine tabs wrapped in plastic with a hole in the middle. Supposedly they are safe to drop in the skimmer since they are slow dissolving. From what I read putting chlorine tablets in a skimmer is a big no no due to the acidity and degrading parts over time. Just wanted to know if anyone has ever used these slow dissolving tablets in the skimmer. All the posts I read were from a few years ago and was wondering if this is something new that I can just drop in the skimmer and not have to worry about or is installing that chlorinator the better option. I understand a lot of people are not fans of chlorine tablets due to CYA increasing over time and would probably recommend a SWG. But right now my only options are these chlorine tablets. Currently I'm using two big floaters but I feel my pool is not getting enough FC because last time I tested it was very low. Would like any advice from the pool veterans.
    Pentair Quad D.E Cartridge Style Filter
    Pentair Multiport Valve SM-20-3
    Hayward Pump
    Jandy Energy Filter
    Gas heater for Spa and pool

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: chlorine Dilemma

I would say no to tabs in the skimmer, but then again I would say no to a tab chlorinator. Both are going ot add way too much CYA for the average pool to have in a season.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

All trichlor tablets are slow dissolving.

What is your CYA level?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    All trichlor tablets are slow dissolving.

What is your CYA level?
    Its pretty low. Its around 30ppm
    Hayward Pump
    Jandy Energy Filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Up there, with short season, rain, etc ... I would just install the chlorinator and run with it (monitor CYA for if you need to switch to bleach).
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

I guess this is what I will go with. The chlorinator seems like a simple install but I'm a little confused as to where to drill the hole for the inlet tubing. I have posted my setup below and have marked where I plan to put the outlet but would appreciate any help on where to put the inlet piping. I will post more photos later if I can after work of my setup.

pool setup.jpg
    Hayward Pump
    Jandy Energy Filter