Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I'm a new pool owner & completely overwhelmed

1. Back To Top    #1

I'm a new pool owner & completely overwhelmed

Hey yall! I bought a house with a pool 1 week ago & I have no idea how to take care of it. It turned green the second day I had it. I shocked it & spent $250 on ph up & conditioner @ the pool store & would rather not give them anymore of my money. SO... What do I do now? I know I need a good test kit, but which one exactly? I have an old basic 5 test kit I found in the shed, & some 10% chlorinating liquid I picked up. What should I do while I'm waiting on the test kit? I don't want it to turn green again!
    45k, IG, vinyl, Hayward

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: I'm a new pool owner & completely overwhelmed

Hello and welcome to TFP! You've been "pool-stored" and we totally understand. So here's what you need to be in control:
    1- The TF-100 test kit (link below). Make sure to get the XL-Option since you already have algae (more reagents) and the "Speed Stir". Great tool
    2 - Review the vital links below in my sig. The will serve you well.
    3- Until the kit arrives, a pool your size can handle 1 gallon of regular bleach each evening. Generic bleach is fine. Nothing else - especially no pool store products. Once your kit arrives, post a full set of results and we'll go from there. Great to have you with us.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the info & replying so quickly!
    45k, IG, vinyl, Hayward

4. Back To Top    #4

Pat, Texas Splash, is on the money. Trust him. The kit will save you.