Bromine Swim Spa CH levels

Brads

Jun 9, 2016
NJ
Hi all, happy to have found this forum since i was getting tons of misinformation everywhere i went, and was beginning to get frustrated. Definitely some great info here.

Moved into a house with a monster 1600 gallon catalina swim spa and finally got her filled up ( well water, used a carbon twist on filter for the hose )
I had a local pool store test my water parameters before the fill, they said parameters were fine to start.

Following the advice of the stickied bromine spa post, i set up a sodium bromide bank ~30ppm and shocked with bleach. ( 4.5 cups 6%)

Testing afterwards the bromine only spiked to ~5 ppm ( testing via test strips, as the taylor kit didnt come in yet at the time)
I put some bromine tablets to maintain, and planned on doing another shock prior to use ( thinking the bleach wasnt too fresh and therefor didnt shock high enough)

Since i was still waiting on test kit i brought another sample to spa store and got the following results:

Total Bromine: 4
PH: 8.0
TA: 130
CH: 190
TDS: 200

Thinking my only issue at this point is PH, and i had received my test kit by now, I tested only for PH, and followed the instructions/math to adjust down to 7.6 using Sodium Bisulfate (5.92 oz)

The following day the PH tested at 7.7, and i figured i should be pretty much good to go now.

The next day ( today) i tested all parameters with the taylor test kit and found i have extremely high calcium hardness. Im not sure what would have caused this, unless the store testing was never accurate. I will test my tap water shortly to find out how high im starting off, but was hoping for suggestions as to what i could do about this problem.

Current levels:
PH: 7.8
TA: 90
CH: 1100

Thanks in advance for any help. :confused:

Thanks so much for the helpful links. Amazingly, i was doing the TEST right, i just need to stop adding 0's to my math for no reason. :swim:

Im new to pools/spas, guess the brain wasn't ready to do science and math at the same time.

UPDATED CH: 110 :cool:

Now that was an easy fix- Might actually get in the spa this weekend!

My PH does seem to want to go up quickly, I just added 4.5 cups of bleach to attempt another shock, bromine ppm creeped down to 1 ( I'm testing time tablet amount to sustain)
Any advice in regards to the order or Time between adding bleach( to shock) and then adding sodium bisulfate (to lower PH) ? Or advice on how to keep PH more stable , Thanks all- hope everyone enjoys the weekend/holiday .

I am working on lowering my alkalinity. Still testing proper amounts of bleach for shocking, a bit high on bromine because of that (12.5) but still added some sodium sulfate to work on the alkalinity , because my PH keeps rising above 8. When I added the sodium bisulfate I noticed the water turning yellow ( dissipated quickly ) but as I haven't noticed this before I am wondering if there's an issue ? Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.