Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bromine Swim Spa CH levels

1. Back To Top    #1

Bromine Swim Spa CH levels

Hi all, happy to have found this forum since i was getting tons of misinformation everywhere i went, and was beginning to get frustrated. Definitely some great info here.

Moved into a house with a monster 1600 gallon catalina swim spa and finally got her filled up ( well water, used a carbon twist on filter for the hose )
    I had a local pool store test my water parameters before the fill, they said parameters were fine to start.

Following the advice of the stickied bromine spa post, i set up a sodium bromide bank ~30ppm and shocked with bleach. ( 4.5 cups 6%)

Testing afterwards the bromine only spiked to ~5 ppm ( testing via test strips, as the taylor kit didnt come in yet at the time)
    I put some bromine tablets to maintain, and planned on doing another shock prior to use ( thinking the bleach wasnt too fresh and therefor didnt shock high enough)

Since i was still waiting on test kit i brought another sample to spa store and got the following results:

Total Bromine: 4
    PH: 8.0
    TA: 130
    CH: 190
    TDS: 200

Thinking my only issue at this point is PH, and i had received my test kit by now, I tested only for PH, and followed the instructions/math to adjust down to 7.6 using Sodium Bisulfate (5.92 oz)

The following day the PH tested at 7.7, and i figured i should be pretty much good to go now.

The next day ( today) i tested all parameters with the taylor test kit and found i have extremely high calcium hardness. Im not sure what would have caused this, unless the store testing was never accurate. I will test my tap water shortly to find out how high im starting off, but was hoping for suggestions as to what i could do about this problem.

Current levels:
    PH: 7.8
    TA: 90
    CH: 1100

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Bromine Swim Spa CH levels

We don't have a lot of confidence in store testing. First, let's make sure you are doing the test correctly.

Read the Testing section toward the bottom of this page
    https://www.taylortechnologies.com/C...P?ContentID=70

and this
    Pool School - Calcium Hardness
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks so much for the helpful links. Amazingly, i was doing the TEST right, i just need to stop adding 0's to my math for no reason.

Im new to pools/spas, guess the brain wasn't ready to do science and math at the same time.

UPDATED CH: 110

Now that was an easy fix- Might actually get in the spa this weekend!

4. Back To Top    #4

My PH does seem to want to go up quickly, I just added 4.5 cups of bleach to attempt another shock, bromine ppm creeped down to 1 ( I'm testing time tablet amount to sustain)
    Any advice in regards to the order or Time between adding bleach( to shock) and then adding sodium bisulfate (to lower PH) ? Or advice on how to keep PH more stable , Thanks all- hope everyone enjoys the weekend/holiday .

5. Back To Top    #5

Just wait a few minutes, like 5, between adding bleach and adding acid.

The best way to keep PH stable is to lower TA to 50 and 50 ppm of borates. This article has more details in the PH/TA section
    How do I use Chlorine in my Spa (or pool)?
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

I am working on lowering my alkalinity. Still testing proper amounts of bleach for shocking, a bit high on bromine because of that (12.5) but still added some sodium sulfate to work on the alkalinity , because my PH keeps rising above 8. When I added the sodium bisulfate I noticed the water turning yellow ( dissipated quickly ) but as I haven't noticed this before I am wondering if there's an issue ? Thanks!

7. Back To Top    #7

levels are finally looking good hopefully i can keep them in line and the temporary yellowing of water from the dry acid is just normal ( it dissipates quickly) thanks all for the help