Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: FAS/DPD Chlorine Test kit?

1. Back To Top    #1

FAS/DPD Chlorine Test kit?

Hi All,
    I am a convert to the TFP method. Pool is looking good. However, I need to SLAM the pool and therefore ordered the FAS/DPD test kit. It arrived today, I'm excited about getting this SLAM going, but the directions say to add a "heaping scoop" of the powder. The online directions say to use the included 'dipper'. My kit has: A chlorine only bottle, the R0870 container, the R-0871 bottle, and the R-003bottle. What is the 'dipper? Should it have come with my kit? And in the absence of this, can someone tell me what a 'heaping scoop" is? (e.g 1 tsp?????) what? Silly to have paid for a kit without a dipper? But am I missing something here?
    21,000 IG vinyl, Goldline AQ-LOGIC-P4, 2017 Pentair Sand Dollar Top Mount Sand Filter, Flotec AT251001-01, Hayward T-15 Turbo cell
    Augusta, GA

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: FAS/DPD Chlorine Test kit?

This is the dipper: TFTestkits.net

If it is missing and you got your test from TF Testkits, contact them and they will rectify the situation right away. If you ordered from another source you will need to take it up with them. In the meantime the amount of powder used for a 5 ml sample is about the size of a small pea or the tip of a sharpie, if that gives you a useful idea. Much, much less than a teaspoon.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

3. Back To Top    #3

Where did you buy the kit? If from tftestkits.net I think there should have been a scoop (little blue thing).

It is not a big deal, a Popsicle stick or similar would work. The amount is like a small BB, much less than pea size. Just add enough that the sample turns a nice pink to start. You can not add too much, but too little could make the end point a little harder to see.

- - - Updated - - -

Note in the picture that was just linked to the scoop is the small far end, not the flat wider handle.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

I would describe the scoop as about the size of a BB.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    I would describe the scoop as about the size of a BB.
    That is the thing I was trying to think of but couldn't come up with. If those darn Starlings were outside my window again I would have thought of it really quick
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

6. Back To Top    #6

Think ... the straight clip on Bic pen caps

Or maybe Air Soft pellets (which are actually a little bigger than you need).
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Ok, great! Just what I needed to know. Yeah, got the kit through the TFtests site. I'll contact them...
    thanks all!!!!
    21,000 IG vinyl, Goldline AQ-LOGIC-P4, 2017 Pentair Sand Dollar Top Mount Sand Filter, Flotec AT251001-01, Hayward T-15 Turbo cell
    Augusta, GA

8. Back To Top    #8

Or cut a match head off and use two, possibly three measures for the 10 ml sample.
    SWG: CircuPool (May 2014) SI30+Plus; 3000ppm seems ideal;
    My Ideal Specs:
    FC 5; PH 7.4-7.6; TA 90; CH 350; CYA 75; = SI ~ 0.19
    14,000 gal, in ground, plaster, Cartridge filter, Borates
    TAYLOR K - 2006