Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Checking in with first TF-100 test results

1. Back To Top    #1

Checking in with first TF-100 test results

Hi TFP Forum! As noted when I first joined, I did get a TF-100 kit and have run my first tests.

FC 4 ............... (Pool Math Goal 3-10)
    CC .5
    PH 7.6 .............(Pool Math Goal 7.5 to 7.8)
    TA 90 ............. (Pool Math Goal 60 - 80)
    CYA 70 ........... (Pool Math Goal 70 - 80)
    CH 225 ........... (Pool Math Goal 0 - 300)

About the only thing I can see that could be tweaked is the TA. I could lower the PH with Muriatic which will lower the TA and then let the PH rise via aeration - something I have no shortage of with my SWG and waterfall. I'll start with 2 quarts and see if that gets the TA down closer to 80-85. It took a while and a lot of adding to get the CYA up to 70!! I'm going to grab a 25 lb box/bag to rebuild my supply.

Any comments or suggestions based on my numbers?
    Last edited by PoolingInKC; 06-16-2016 at 06:30 PM. Reason: typos - I hate em
    24,600 Gal, IG freeform gunite w/vinyl liner, Triton II Sand Filter, Pentair 2.5 HP Whisperflow 2 speed,
    Pool completed May 2014, Spa, IntelliTouch Automation, Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Prowler 820 robot cleaner,
    Testing with TF-100 Kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Checking in with forst TF-100 test results

TA is fine unless you have pH issues. CH is not important (within reason) in a vinyl pool. How does the water look?
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Checking in with first TF-100 test results

I would not bother buying more CYA ... it should not really drop much except from splashout or rain overflow.

No hurry on the TA, numbers look pretty good ... I would bump the FC up a bit ... I would want a bigger buffer than just 1ppm above the absolute minimum.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Re: Checking in with forst TF-100 test results

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bruce View Post
    TA is fine unless you have pH issues. CH is not important (within reason) in a vinyl pool. How does the water look?
    Water looks like crystal !!
    24,600 Gal, IG freeform gunite w/vinyl liner, Triton II Sand Filter, Pentair 2.5 HP Whisperflow 2 speed,
    Pool completed May 2014, Spa, IntelliTouch Automation, Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Prowler 820 robot cleaner,
    Testing with TF-100 Kit.

5. Back To Top    #5

We've been getting a lot of evap from high temps and the auto filler is topping off daily. Assuming that dilutes CYA somewhat over time?. I'll leave it be though as noted.

I was actually going to also target 6 for the FC and raise it up more than 4. Honestly I was shocked that my numbers were this good since I've been using 7 way guess strips for the last 2 years. I got some good advice from my pool builder right off about using muriatic acid and had added CYA in the past to reduce the drag on the SWG.

I was glad to see the numbers were pretty well in line. I wasn't sure if being at 90 for TA was bad with the range topping at 80 or not. Understand that these are target ranges though.

Thanks for the feedback.
    Last edited by PoolingInKC; 06-16-2016 at 08:00 PM. Reason: typo
    Testing with TF-100 Kit.

6. Back To Top    #6

CYA is not lost to evaporation. Only H2O evaporates, leaving the CYA behind.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    CYA is not lost to evaporation. Only H2O evaporates, leaving the CYA behind.
    Ohhhhhhh, OK then. Thanks for that info. I need to read pool school and the Chem threads again, must have missed that!
    Testing with TF-100 Kit.

8. Back To Top    #8

I'd leave it alone, looks good.
    16 x 32 17500 gallons
    Vinyl in-ground
    Hayward 250# Sand Filter
    1 HP Pump
    Hayward SWG