Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Newbie confirming Clorox date code interpretation

1. Back To Top    #1

Newbie confirming Clorox date code interpretation

I just bought several 121 fl oz Clorox Concentrated Germicidal Bleach ("8.3%"). The date code is "H3 16144 IL-1." To me this doesn't quite match the format posted on TFP several years ago (found while searching). In the store, I saw the "16," and assumed that was year of manufacture with "144" being the Julian component. But at home I searched TFP and found posts stating the third character (i.e., "1") indicates 2011 as the date of manufacture.

Did I buy really old bleach, or has Clorox changed their coding system?
    Chas & Cheryl (first-time, second-year pool owners)
    Radiant Metric Oval AGP 16'x32'x52"; Pentair: Clean&Clear 150 Cartridge, OptiFlo 1.5 Hp 2-spd, and 320C Feeder (all mounted below water level); Taylor K-2006 & SpeedStir; Maytronics Dolphin E10 (aka Einstein)
    installation pics (2015-2016)

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Newbie confirming Clorox date code interpretation

hmmm, I thought exactly as you did, year 16 day 144
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

Chlorox uses a slightly different system. H3 is the plant where it was made 16 is the year and 144 is the day of the year, as in day 144 of 365. IL is the state where the plant is located. I looked it up just this morning!

Bleach Expiration Dates | Clorox
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Zea3, when I follow the link you posted, I find this:

Clorox.JPG
    which is why I'm confused.

Do you find something different at that link?
    Radiant Metric Oval AGP 16'x32'x52"; Pentair: Clean&Clear 150 Cartridge, OptiFlo 1.5 Hp 2-spd, and 320C Feeder (all mounted below water level); Taylor K-2006 & SpeedStir; Maytronics Dolphin E10 (aka Einstein)

5. Back To Top    #5

In the example the code is A8809507. If we break it down the way it is in the example A8 8095 07, A8 is the letter and first number for plant A8. 8 is for 2008 and 095 is the 95th day of the year.

Here is a link to the latest info on their website, which basically says the same thing first letter and digit are the plant code, the next two digits are the year and the next 3 digits are the day of the year.

Clorox® Regular-Bleach should be replaced every year and stored as directed for optimum performance. | Clorox

Which thread were you looking at for the date codes? There is one from 2014 and one from 2012.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you! That's what I was looking for