Hello TFP - new member and a quick question

Jun 16, 2016
Freehold/NJ
I have a 25x40 vinyl in ground chlorinated pool. Hayward sand filter model S244T and Multiport model SP0714T. The spider valve is shot and when recirculating, water spits out the waste port. Removing and inspecting showed most of the gasket gone. I went to the local store to get a replacement and they said I can only buy a full top replacement for $90+.00. I thanked them for thier time and walked out, but i am having trouble finding if i can actually replace just the spider gasket. My google searches show the gasket molded and part of the whole assembly and not just the gasket alone. Please tell me this isn't true, and if so, does anyone know the correct replacement spider gasket for this model ?

Sorry for the long winded question, just want to be thorough. I am in the middle of a SLAM and need to sort this out
Latest readings
AL - 180
PH 8.0
Ch 5.0
CYA 40
TDS 460

I hope i did this right. (further reading) Last September my pool co. replaced the skimmer, new bottom (vermiculite), liner, stairs, coping and pump. Pool was semi destroyed by a felled tree. Filled entirely with city water - treated and covered on the second day. It was a big tree :)

Best,
Robert

Thanks so much guys ! I will take a photo of the gasket tomorrow morning. I tapped the handle a few times and its not spitting out the waste port, so I want to let it run a bit.
Here is a photo from last summer. Currently its a beautiful shade of green ;) Opened only a week ago. I was out of state and no one to give assistance unfortunately.
Best,
Robert

Hopefully this fixes it. When you said this... I tapped the handle a few times and its not spitting out the waste port, so I want to let it run a bit. It got me to thinking that the spring under the handle may be bad too.

Man, that is TFP Customer Service at its finest. Sourced the exact part he needed in less than 1 hr 30 min and didn't cost him major $$$$

:slidehalo:

Good job team !

I would say Kick Butt job ! I was a member on another pool forum many years ago but i think its closed down. Anyway, i've been maintaining my pool with mostly the BBB method without any all hands on deck red alert stop drop and roll total freak outs....until this seasons opening !!!
This is opening day this year 6/4/2016 ( Levels nominal CH 5, AL 140, PH 7.8, CYA 40 )

6/12/2016 ( Levels nominal CH 5, AL 140, PH 7.8, CYA 40 )

6/16/2016 (Flocculant and skimmer sock added) PH raised to 8

6/17/2016 ( Levels nominal CH 5, AL 140, PH 7.8, CYA 40 ) Vacuumed 70% of the bottom to waste before the water level got too low.
This is the pool bottom !

6/17/2016 ( clearing, added 2 gal bleach to keepup CH level at 5. PH 7.5 AL 160.

I probably wasted alot of floc as i had to run some through filter until i replace spider gasket, but its working and i am making progress. In the 1st 2 weeks, I was scratching my head as nothing was happening as my SLAM was fine according to my CYA level. So I just have to be patient, take a deep breath and tell my kids and all their friends to get lost or go mow my lawn. Will keep you guys posted.
Again, web sites with the level of expertise are better than my Johnny Walker Blue....well almost :)
As always I am open to any suggestions, opinions and dirty limericks

Best,
Robert

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Wonderful! Now we just need to help you transform that swamp to an oasis. Have a great weekend.

Update 6/19 12:15 pm est.

Pool is looking worlds better. Now i am trying to clear everything up. Dead alge on bottom is grey. INYO contacted me about the gasket and they were out of stock so i had to go with option B and dump 100 bucs on the oem assembly with the factory fitted spider gasket as i was losing water out the waste port. :evil: I am heading out to stock up on BBB as I ran out this morning.

Here are my readings with my old kit - I RAN over my taylor kit with my lawn tractor - don't ask - Amazon Prime to the rescue.

tested 6:15 am
AL - 160
PH 7.2
Ch 2.0
CYA 40

Do you think I should bring my Ch back to 5-10 ppm ? The temperature is supposed to hit 90 today.

Best,
Robert

I RAN over my Taylor kit with my lawn tractor
I'm sorry, but at the same time ... THANK YOU for that. I needed a good laugh. :p

So now you need to "SLAM" link below. With a CYA of 40, increase your FC to 16 and you'll be on your way. Pool is looking better.

I'm sorry, but at the same time ... THANK YOU for that. I needed a good laugh. :p

So now you need to "SLAM" link below. With a CYA of 40, increase your FC to 16 and you'll be on your way. Pool is looking better.

HA yea i laughed it off after a few expletives.
I hope i didn't SLAMdance ? PH looks ok but i may have been a little overzealous on the chlorine. I cannot test AL, after 15 drops it didn't turn red/pink, it turned yellow-ish. Assuming due to FC level.
Pool is identical color to yesterday and cloudy. I am being patient. I also saved a mommy wolf spider with all her babies on her back so theres that. Maybe i'll get some karma.

6/20/16
5:33 am est.

HA yea i laughed it off after a few expletives.
I hope i didn't SLAMdance ? PH looks ok but i may have been a little overzealous on the chlorine. I cannot test AL, after 15 drops it didn't turn red/pink, it turned yellow-ish. Assuming due to FC level.
Pool is identical color to yesterday and cloudy. I am being patient. I also saved a mommy wolf spider with all her babies on her back so theres that. Maybe i'll get some karma.

6/20/16
5:33 am est.

7:30 pm est

I added another gallon of bleach to keep up the slam. It dropped down a bit during the day. Water is a sky blue now but cloudy.

Pool is still very cloudy. Using my old test kit the color is back to the dark orange color. Unsure why it's taking so long to clear.
Anything else I can do at this point ? I cancelled my new Taylor kit order and bought 2 tf100 kits. Whish I had found that link sooner ha. The kits won't be here until Thursday/Friday.

Best,
Robert

I think for now just try to remain patient. Once your TF-100 (s) get here, you will have MUCH more precision testing to evaluate your true CYA and FC. That's what is going to make the difference.

Thanks so much for answering my questions. Soooo here is another :) My filter calls for 300 lbs of #20 silica .045-.055mm sand. Aqua Quartz has some good reviews. What do the good folk of TFT usually have the best results with ?
This is just in case I am actually having a filtering issue. I have performed a deep clean this season. My sand has got to be nearing 8-9 years. I'm pretty sure it was 2007. I lost ALL my pool notes in a basement flood in 2012 during hurricane along with my favorite poster of farrah fawcett :(

I've not used different sands myself, so others may have personal experience. But I can say this about sand in general .... even with all the various types of filtration media (Zeolite, glass, etc) regular sand always seems to stand-out as the seasoned veteran. In fact, unless something was added to the sand to change it's composition (i.e. pool store products, baqua, etc), sand will never go bad. Just a good deep cleaning is all it needs.

Once you get towards the end of your SLAM however, you may want to enhance the sand's filtration capability by adding a small amount of DE to it. It doesn't take much, but it's known to help. But that is only done at the end of a SLAM when it appears filtration is the last thing to wrap-up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.