Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Automation Recommendations??

1. Back To Top    #1

Southern California

Automation Recommendations??

Hi guys, I've been remodeling my pool for the past few months. Now it's time for my equipment to get upgraded. I've upgraded my equipment to a Hayward Progrid DE Filter, pentair variable speed pump and two pentair whisperflo pumps for my water features. Now it's time for my old school timer to get upgraded. I'm not really worried about automatic valves but would like to turn my pool on and off from my Phone and also have the option for controlling solar heating later on. What products would you recommend for me? And what exactly do I need to purchase? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also what do you guys think of used units? I've seen quite a few used aqualink systems for sale on eBay.
    Remodel Completion 8/22/16. Pool-16x32', Raised Stacked Stone Spa with Waterfall - 9x9', Pool Depth 4-6', Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump, Intelliflo VF Pump, WhisperFlow 2HP Pump, Pentair 320 Clean and Clear filter, Easytouch 8, Screenlogic 2, (3) Pentair Globrites, Pentair Intellibrite 5G, 1.5HP Blower, 4 Sheer Descent Waterfalls, Rico Rock Waterfall.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide
    Bedford, TX

Re: Automation Recommendations??

From my point of view, there is only one rule.. If you want automation use only one manufacturer, so that things play well together.

Since you already have a Pentair VS pump (I assume an Intelliflo) then it only makes sense to get an EasyTouch with ScreenLogic2 for remote operation from your PC or phone.

An EasyTouch 4 can serially control your VS pump and your other two pumps via relays. This would leave you only one relay for pool light or ??? So, I would suggest the EasyTouch 8.

I admit I am a big Pentair fan, but if you already had a Hayward VS pump, I would have recommended the Hayward Automation system.

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP5200 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Columbia, SC

I agree with Jim, stick with one manufacturer if you want the parts to play well with each other.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide
    Riverside, CA

I too am a proponent for the EasyTouch 8 and ScreenLogic 2. This setup should work nicely with your setup.
    33K In ground Pool/Spa, IntelliFlo, IntelliChlor SWG, Easytouch, ScreenLogic, MasterTemp 400, Quad 100, IntelliPH, MiniPebble, Dolphin Z5, POOL BUILD