cleaning your filters cartridges

tstex

Silver Supporter
Aug 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Hello to All,

When cleaning your cartridges, I took a new approach to applying the cleaner.

My wife bought some pool cartridge cleaner that comes in one of those sprayers that you squeeze the hand trigger and about 3/4 of the way thru the first filter of 4, you ask yourself, what kind of drug will I need for the arthritis in my hand?

I bought some liq TSP that makes 4 gallons from concentrate, it was 32oz so it used 8oz/gal H20. I put 16oz in my pump-up sprayer, pressurized it and I could feel the life go back into my right hand. I basically used 1gal of per filter and they came out sparkling clean. W the pump-up sprayer I could apply a uniform and consistent vol of cleaner at a constant pressure, albeit I re-pressurized the 2-gal tank every 2-3 min...WAY EASIER than a squeeze trigger sprayer, and that smaller bottle cost $19.85 for 28-30oz while the TSP cost $6 for what amounted to 512 oz. So .69/oz vs .01/oz

Finally, I am going to clean my cartridges in Oct & March when the temp's are a lot better. The heat index was 106 yesterday w the humidity...Rgds, tstex

Liquid TSP? Do tell where you got that. I use a mix of TSP and Oxyclean to clean just about everything I dont feel like scrubbing. That mixture is commonly sold as PBW (Powdered Brew Wash) after seeing how well it cleaned my disgusting beer fermenters I started using it on everything, my wife calls it magic powder. Liquid would be nice, real nice.

Sure, it's called "Savogran" and I bought it at HD in the cleaning products section. It comes in a qt bottle and is light red. It states that if you do not like its performance, you can return it for a refund...NP w my results.

I believe adding some Oxyclean and/or bleach to the mixture might be in order too. Just want to make sure that whatever is applied, its concentration is not caustic enough to eat the bands around the filters...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.