Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding a "fountain"

1. Back To Top    #1

Adding a "fountain"

First off, thanks for all the help you have given me as I venture into "pool" maintenance once again. Ive learned a lot by simply reading this forum and hope to return the favor in short time.
    Im very mechanical but gave up on this one, im sure im having a brain fart but hopefully someone can offer me the proverbial kick in the butt I need to get this running.
    I have a 14' X 46" "pool" with an in wall skimmer/pump. As you see below the water returns from the pump via an 1.5" hose (B) into a male fitting (A)

The disconnected part is the intex fountain that I want to hook up, now I can simply pull hose (B) off of (A), plug the return hole in the pool and re-hook it up to part (C) of the fountain. Problem is this is a process and I dont see the gasket on (C) lasting long with the constant on/off use. Went to Home D the other day in hopes of plumbing a "Y" off the pump and feeding 2 shut off valves so i could control the flow of water to A, C or a little to both. I had no luck. The 1.5" hose is not standard, well not that I can find anyway.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Pool.jpg

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Adding a "fountain"

These types of pools tend to use 1 1/4" fittings. Measure across the widest part of the fitting opening and that should confirm the size fitting you need to look for.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by zea3 View Post
    These types of pools tend to use 1 1/4" fittings. Measure across the widest part of the fitting opening and that should confirm the size fitting you need to look for.

Not at home now but Ill get the ID later. I believe the vacuum hose is 1.25" but the filter return hose is 1.5"

4. Back To Top    #4

If you take the union apart and take it with you to the store, you might get lucky and find a compatible union. Then you can pipe the connection any way you like.
    Chas & Cheryl (first-time, second-year pool owners)
    Radiant Metric Oval AGP 16'x32'x52"; Pentair: Clean&Clear 150 Cartridge, OptiFlo 1.5 Hp 2-spd, and 320C Feeder (all mounted below water level); Taylor K-2006 & SpeedStir; Maytronics Dolphin E10 (aka Einstein)
    installation pics (2015-2016)

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Chasmengr View Post
    If you take the union apart and take it with you to the store, you might get lucky and find a compatible union. Then you can pipe the connection any way you like.
    I took the hose and part A, no luck.
    Is this 1.5" hose standard? I know 1.5" hose is standard but this setup requires a non-corrugated section in order to make the seal on to the male section. Haven't found anything that fits that bill.

6. Back To Top    #6

I thought the black ring above part C was a union nut. If it's not a union, oops . . . me bad.
    Chas & Cheryl (first-time, second-year pool owners)
    Radiant Metric Oval AGP 16'x32'x52"; Pentair: Clean&Clear 150 Cartridge, OptiFlo 1.5 Hp 2-spd, and 320C Feeder (all mounted below water level); Taylor K-2006 & SpeedStir; Maytronics Dolphin E10 (aka Einstein)
    installation pics (2015-2016)