Algae on pool wall, safe to swim question

DanaSC

May 16, 2012
Lexington, SC
There was a small amount of algae on my deep end wall this morning. I added extra chlorine, brushed the pool, left the house for a few hours. When I came back, all still looked good (water was clear to begin with and the algae wasn't even in its normal spot for when we begin to get an algae problem). I tested the water, FC was 5, brushed the pool again and retested a while longer, still at 5.

Question: Is it possible the small amount of algae I saw was killed by the chlorine I added and that the pool is safe enough to swim in without SLAMing? Or is the algae ONLY killed at the SLAM level?

Yes, I'm trying to get away without SLAMing so my kids can swim. Looking for excuses, maybe, but it is an understandable question anyway. :)

Here's what I would do: go ahead and let the kids swim right now, then before you go to bed tonight bring your FC up to SLAM level, then test it in the morning, just to be sure all of your algae is gone. My feeling is you probably did kill the algae, but I would do the overnight, just to be sure (so that it doesn't get out of hand if you're wrong). I do not personally believe that a small amount of algae in the water is going to hurt your kids. People swim in lakes with algae, and all sorts of stuff, all the time without getting sick. Not suggesting you swim in swamp or anything, but a clean looking pool that has FC and only had a small amount? Sure, I'd do that.

I agree with Tammy.

One way to tell if you have a real problem....again AFTER the kiddos swim, brush your pool thoroughly floor and walls.

If the entire pool clouds up you need to do a SLAM for sure. It's possible you have unseen algae (not green) and
a full brush of the entire surface should determine how much you have.

Thank you both! That was really my thoughts as well, but both my husband and I were kind of on the fence about whether our thoughts hold any validity or not. I'll brush as soon as we get out, and I'll do what Tammy suggests with bringing the level up tonight and see if I pass in the morning.

The proven way to tell if you have anything growing in the water is to perform an OCLT.

Raise your FC to 8-10 & perform the OCLT. If you lose 1ppm or more you need to SLAM your pool.

Just because you don't see anything when you brush doesn't guarantee you are algae (or bacteria) free.

BTW- it is perfectly fine to swim during a SLAM as long as you can see the bottom of the pool & you are at or just below the correct shock level per your CYA.

Dom

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.