Cloudy Pool

May 17, 2016
Shawnee Oklahoma
OK everyone. I am fairly new to the pool world. I had my pool all last summer and never had a problem with it. I have been trying to open my pool this summer for 2 weeks now. First off, here are my chemical readings

FC- 22 (Slamming it still. Don't let it get below 16)
PH- 7.2
TA - 130 (Hard to bring this down when PH is 7.2)
CH- 170
CYA- 40

It seems like my pool is clearing up some but I have literally dumped well over 100 gallons of bleach in this thing. I just can't get it to clear up. I need suggestions.

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: A SLAM is a good thing for you right now, but you don't need to exceed the FC SLAM level of 16. When you go too high, the extra FC is more susceptible to UV loss, so just maintain the 16 range and you'll do better with bleach consumption. The rest looks good as far as I can tell. When you get a moment, please add your equipment (to include test kit) to your profile signature so we can see what you have to work with. Nice to have you with us.

Thank you for the reply. OK, I will try and just keep it around the 16. I usually raise it pretty high in the morning because no one is home for 8 hours, and I just try to keep it at slam. I put some stuff in it last night to help with the cloudiness, and I can just about see the bottom. It is still cloudy but I think it is working. I will invest in a cover at the end of this summer. I updated the signature, don't know what all to put, but I put a little.

I understand about the increase. We've discussed that here before and agreed that besides pool/swimmer's safety, too much higher doesn't impact the SLAM as well as overall consistency. But I understand. Now that you've updated your signature, you might also consider a filter deep clean as noted on the TFP Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter page. Many people have fo9und that quite valuable. Finally, don't forget to inspect/clean inside and steps or ladders you have. They become a treasure trove for algae.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.