Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New robot for AGP - dolphin but what model?

1. Back To Top    #1

New robot for AGP - dolphin but what model?

It's been some time since I've had to come to TFP for help, which is a good thing! That means everything is going along swimmingly However, our Pool Rover Jr bit the dust after 5 seasons (ugh) and I'm looking for a, better, replacement. I think I've landed on getting a Dolphin but I'm confused about what models might be appropriate for an above ground pool? I saw the new E10 but didn't know if I should be considering any other models? I'm certain that I want one that has a top-load filter basket. We definitely need something that can do leaves and such as well as fine dusty particles and bucket fulls of tree seeds in the spring. If I know it will last, I'm willing to spend up to $800 but I don't want to go beyond that. Any thoughts? TIA!
    21' round 54" AG Wilbar Quest; ~11,000 gal//Hayward Easy-Clear 125 sq ft Cartridge filter//Hayward Power-Flo LX 2hp pump

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: New robot for AGP - dolphin but what model?

Sorry no one has got with you, I went with a suction side "the poolcleaner" so I have no idea about the robots other than everyone loves them until they break
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for your response. We had a suction side cleaner that broke too (before the pool rover jr, which then broke) Unfortunately, although it makes other parts of keeping the pool clean easier, we have a 2 hp pump on a 21' round, so the suction cleaners just don't seem to work well with that much power, which seems completely counter intuitive. Edit: I should add that the biggest issue is that the return force pushes the suction cleaners to one end of the pool and they struggle to get anywhere else, which is why we went to a robot that we could run with the pump off.
    21' round 54" AG Wilbar Quest; ~11,000 gal//Hayward Easy-Clear 125 sq ft Cartridge filter//Hayward Power-Flo LX 2hp pump

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

ahhh, yep, I have a 3 way Jandy valve and have to throttle mine down on high, they really don't like overpowering now under power is fine, he just moves slower...
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

5. Back To Top    #5

I just ended up going with the Dolphin E10. I ordered through sunplay.com since they had the best price and no shipping fees or tax. We'll see what happens. The closest dealer to us is over an hour away, so I just decided to purchase online and live with those consequences should something unfortunate happen within the 1 year warranty.