My Pool service says saltwater systems are bad

curlz

Jun 15, 2016
Arlington, TN
We purchased this home three years ago. It has a pool which is approximately 7 years old. We never owned a pool and so we have paid for a weekly service to take care of it. In the past three years we have replaced the filters yearly, the pump has been replaced twice (the second one exploded and caught on fire), the salt chlorinator twice, we have moved equipment out of the sun and poured concrete so it isn't just sitting on the ground, (those were given to us as reason why everything breaks). Currently the automation circuit board and the temperature sensor are broken and need replacing. So far, this year alone we are at $3000 in maintenance costs for failing equipment.

It seems like our pool breaks more than anyone else's that we know. I mentioned our concern over the equipment failures and he said it is because we have a saltwater system and they are hard on equipment and that is why everything breaks. I was under the impression that a saltwater system was an upgrade? He seems to think we should get rid of it. Are all these equipment failures normal? I don't know if we are being taken advantage of or if I just have unrealistic maintenance expectations.

We are going to attempt to replace the automation system circuit board on our own as the board is $350 and they wanted over $1000 to put it in. I guess if I want to keep our costs under control we need to start learning and doing more ourselves.

HI! Your pool service is wrong. There is no other way to say it. I invite you to do some reading on here and you will find MANY people have and love their SWG.

It sounds like your pool service does not know what they are doing------------Your pump EXPLODED??? SCARY. Mine is sitting in the sun and has been from day one. It has not exploded :shock:

You are going to LOVE being here at TFP! Your wallet will be very happy as well!

It looks like you have done some reading so you know what I am going to say next..........please get a test kit. Look in my siggy for the one I think is the value for the dollar.

Once you do that we can start picking your pool and equipment apart to see if we can figure out why things are always going wrong.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kim:cat:

.... he said it is because we have a saltwater system and they are hard on equipment and that is why everything breaks.

shaking_head_breaking_bad.gif

I see you have an ozone generator but not a SWG, what type is it and size.. what type pump and size.. there are cheap pumps and SWG and equipment that will fail in a short amount of time and it sounds like they are blaming it on your saltwater..

That is a lot of service problems in a short period of time. It sounds like an electrical problem to me. I know you are loathe to spend more money but you may want to consider calling around and see if you can find a reputable pool builder or electrician to take a look at your system (not your current service). Even if your current service company knows what they are doing they are not likely to find problems because they believe they know the system. You want fresh unbiased eyes to look at it. I would look for things like shorts, loose wire nuts, loose lugs on breakers, breakers not seated well, grounding issues, undersized wiring. Also wold be a good ideal to get a surge protector if you don't already have one.

Filter should last more than a year. Sounds like your pool company is replacing rather than washing them to increase their profit and overcharging where they can ($1000 for a board install is thievery). As others suggested, dump them and educate yourself on TFPs.

Wow! Big problems. But like Kim cats says you'll love your pool with the help of this site.

Based on what you've indicated I agree with others. Your pool service needs to go. Also, before you replace your board how do you know both the board and sensor are bad... sounds unlikely. Did the service company tell you this also?

I'd suggest you add your equipment info in the signature. Then start some additional threads for each problem. There are experts here on everything related to all pools and all brands new and old. This will be your new start with the pool and you'll quickly begin enjoying it like you should!!

Best regards,

Chris

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.