Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chemicals out of whack!

1. Back To Top    #1

Chemicals out of whack!

HELP! FC-O/0 Ph.8.4 TA40 Hardness100 CYA 30-40 . I have shocked the pool a few times (Which cleared the algae) and added baking soda. My pool guy told me, oh dont worry about the CYA . Is that true? My ph went up and TA dropped and no matter how much chlorine I add it still reads 0. I am on a tight budget this year and this is getting expensive. I am about to order chems online and planning to go back to Bromine just because it seemed more manageable when I used it 3years ago and about 8 years before that. We have had lots a rain as well which could be adding to this problem? My test kit is just the strips from HTH.
    Pool size 28' x 52' round above ground, Cartridge Filtration System Hayward xstream,Pump Pro-Flo Matrix. Chemicals~ Chlorinating Liquid.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Fiskdale, MA

Re: Chemicals out of whack!

Someone with more experience than I will need to provide specific guidance, but I've learned quickly the first response: get yourself a good test kit (TF-100 recommended), throw the test strips away, and don't speak to the pool store.
    / 21k Gal, 20x36 Freeform IG Vinyl Saltwater, Installed 2012 / Sta-Rite MPRA6E-205L 1HP Pump / Sta-Rite System:3 S7M120 Cartridge Filter / Pentair IntelliChlor IC-40 SWG / Aqua Heat LS-125 Heat Pump / TF-100 Test Kit w/ SpeedStir /

3. Back To Top    #3
    Tallahassee, FL

Re: Chemicals out of whack!

Hi Pam! I am SO glad you found us here at TFP! We can and will get your pool looking like a jewel but we need you to help us do it. The help is getting a good test kit like FL said. Look in my siggy for the one I think gives you the best value for your money.

While you are waiting for your test kit to get there please read this:

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

This will tell you the whys and hows of TFP care. It is a lot of info. so take it in small bites. Once you get your test kit you will find it even easier to understand.

TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit, Become a TFP supporter!