Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Called Pool Store to find out what Micromatic Media was

1. Back To Top    #1

Called Pool Store to find out what Micromatic Media was

I just called the store that installed my pool to find out exactly what "Micromatic Media" is. I wanted to put in some DE to shine up the water even more. I read not to use DE in ZeoSand. Was leary of putting it in.

They Said: I have a "Micromatic Filter" and it is just regular pool sand and DE is OK to use. By the way I see you haven't bought your water in to be tested yet this year. Be sure to bring in a sample for us to test.

I did change out the sand once (before TFP) and it did not look like sand to me. Do you think I need to open it up and take a look at what is in there?
    13700 gal, 32'x16'x54" AG oval, vinyl, Echo Canyon II, 8500 series, Narrow Yard, Safety Fence & Stair, Sta-Rite Crystal Flow T-210WF, 44 GPM, Hayward SP1580TL 1HP Pump, Aqua Luminator, Festiva wedding cake steps, March 2006, TFT-100, Speed-Stir, Sample Sizer. Avatar Credit: TJ Townsend

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Called Pool Store to find out what Micromatic Media was

Quote Originally Posted by JoeSelf View Post
    I just called the store that installed my pool to find out exactly what "Micromatic Media" is. I wanted to put in some DE to shine up the water even more. I read not to use DE in ZeoSand. Was leary of putting it in.

They Said: I have a "Micromatic Filter" and it is just regular pool sand and DE is OK to use. By the way I see you haven't bought your water in to be tested yet this year. Be sure to bring in a sample for us to test.

I did change out the sand once (before TFP) and it did not look like sand to me. Do you think I need to open it up and take a look at what is in there?
    Is this the same store that sold it to you? I find it funny that when sold it was a special product commanding $30 a bag (on-line price today) but when you question it , it's "just regular pool sand".

"MICROMATIC MEDIA" is trademarked by "MYBLUEPOOL.COM, INC." and the description of the product in their trademark applicatio is:
    Filtration material, consisting of natural zeolite mineral ore that is mined, crushed and screened from a naturally occurring deposit of the zeolite mineral clinoptilolite, for use in swimming pool water treatment applications
    Their website says "myBluePool.comŽ is your one-stop shopping site for all your pool supplies and accessories" but unless you are a dealer you can not access the site or see their products.

OK, now on to your question. It never hurts to open your filter and tale a look. If need be you can do a deep clean while you have it open.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Called Pool Store to find out what Micromatic Media was

Thanks, Tim. Yeah, that's their BRAND. Its Budds Pools. I looked online before for it and couldn't find it. I googled just now and still can't find the link to it and MYbluepool.com. I just tired to log on and I can't remember my password. And I don't have the same email address as when I signed up.

I did open it up and it was very clean. I took apart the multi-port and lubed to spider gasket. I do this when closing and opening. It's connected to a big plastic part that is hard to change, so I'm very careful with it.

So I guess that I can't use the DE. I'll try the deep clean thought I don't think I'll get much. I am running at 11PSI for the past two weeks and not getting a rise. Darn, clean water. I got a new backwash hose this year and I had 1 PSI rise in a month including a SLAM (clear water, little debris on bottom) at opening. Backwashed on June 4th to test it out.
    13700 gal, 32'x16'x54" AG oval, vinyl, Echo Canyon II, 8500 series, Narrow Yard, Safety Fence & Stair, Sta-Rite Crystal Flow T-210WF, 44 GPM, Hayward SP1580TL 1HP Pump, Aqua Luminator, Festiva wedding cake steps, March 2006, TFT-100, Speed-Stir, Sample Sizer. Avatar Credit: TJ Townsend