Tucson, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pureline Crystal Pure 60,000
I know that the new extended life cell is rated by Hayward to produce up to 725 lb of chlorine over its life, vs the T-5 580 lbs., and a four year warranty vs three.

My real question is if there is any real differences between the T-15 and the T-15w, other than a three year vs a one year warranty. I can't find any place that list any different specifications for the T-15w.

The extended life cells can produce 25% more chlorine and have a one year longer warranty. Depending on the prices that you can find it may or may not be worth the price difference to upgrade to the extended life cells. I have a feeling the coatings are thicker on the extended life cells which make them last longer. Other than that the cells should be equal to each other.

I know that the extended life (TCELL940) has different specifications. My primary question is between the T-15 and the T-15w. The w model is about $50 cheaper. Is the only difference the one year warranty vs the three years you get with the T-15? If it's the same otherwise, I might as well save the $50, since I know it will last more than three years in a small pool, (if proper chemical balance is maintained).

The T-15 and the T-15w are the same. The 15w is the warranty cell Hayward sends out to replace a cell that fails under warranty. I don't think that Hayward approves of them being sold.

I know that they're sold. I just don't think that Hayward technically approves. However, they obviously aren't adverse enough to stop people from selling them. Maybe Hayward is ok with it; I'm not sure.

If Amazon has them available in quantities enough for "Amazon Prime" shipping, Hayward must be supplying them to someone.

My AquaRite cell recently failed after only a year of use and it was replaced with a cell that stated it had a one year warranty on the box. I did not bother looking at the label and now I'm guessing that it is one of the T-15w cells. The dealer said that the one year warranty would not apply to me and that I still have two years remaining on the system.

After all my issues with SWG's I would pay the extra $50 for 2 more years of warranty.

On the other hand, I got well over 7 years on my original T-15 cell. My son just bought a house with a small pool, (probably less than 10k gallons) with a dead cell in the AquaRite system. Seller is replacing the cell with a new T-15w. I was wondering if it was worth the hassle to insist (or pay the difference) for a T-15. In a pool under 10k, I think not. He has other issues of more importance to deal with.

My feeling is those T-15w cells are designed to last just over a year and that will get 90%+ of the replaced cells out of warranty. If a cell dies at 2 years and 11 months, they don't want to replace it with another cell that is expected to last three years. Once the original warranty expires, you don't get an extended warranty period if anything is replaced.

That was the case of my first SWG, Jandy, and the replacement cell lasted 14 months. That is when I made the switch to Hayward because the Jandy had a lot of sensor issues at the time.

I'm expecting this replacement cell to die within two years, and I'll get another cell of the same type to just get me out of my three year warranty. The Hayward dealer said some things that now make me believe more than ever that these replacement cells have thin coatings which make them last for a shorter period of time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What I was looking for is any actual verifiable empirical evidence (other than anecdotal) that there is a difference in the specifications between the T-15 and T-15w. If you original T-15 didn't make it past one year, how can you say the w model is inferior?

My experiance is very different. My original T-15 lasted over seven years and I am on my fifth year with the replacement. Both were the T-15. I have no experiance with the T-15w.

i have a glx/w/replacement cell that i got from an authorized dealer as a replacement for my failed 3yr cell. i't s bad now 10 months in, and the dealer (who would be the one to actually provide the replacement) told the the 1 yr on a glx is the max vs however much is left on your original 3 or 4 yr. basically that if my 3yr lasts 2yrs 10mo, and my replacement lasts 6mo, i'm out of luck. he said they need the original 3yr receipt or body to cover warranty on the replacement. he told me they're not meant to be sold outright. (this is just one data point from noble pools in so cal)

The more I look into this stuff, the more interesting things get. I bought my system online and I got the Swim Pure packaging and it came with a GLX cell which seems to be the T-15w cell in my research. Although I have a three year warranty on my system, it seems that the one year warranty cells are all the GLX cells.

Maybe that's why I only got one year out of my first cell???

For what it's worth chiefwej, this just reinforces that I would spend the extra $50 for the 3 year warranty cell.

How to tell if it's a T-15 or T-15w...the first digit of the serial number tells the duration of the warranty in years.

The more I look into this stuff, the more interesting things get. I bought my system online and I got the Swim Pure packaging and it came with a GLX cell which seems to be the T-15w cell in my research. Although I have a three year warranty on my system, it seems that the one year warranty cells are all the GLX cells.

Maybe that's why I only got one year out of my first cell???

For what it's worth chiefwej, this just reinforces that I would spend the extra $50 for the 3 year warranty cell.

My AquaRite originally came with a T-15 cell. That cell only lasted about 4 years (had a 5 year warranty back when we bought the system in 2004) due to ignorance of proper use and care by me and the pool store. It was replaced with a GLX cell. With proper care learned on sites like this, the GLX cell lasted 7 years.

The GLX designation means nothing. From what I understand it is just leftover from the Goldline brand days, before they were acquired by Hayward. The exact same product has been sold as Hayward, AquaRite, SwimPure, Goldline and several other names.

There is no difference between the one and three year cells. You are paying for a longer warranty, but recently the pricing has gotten too close to make it worth purchasing the one year cell.

The one year cell is approved for retail sale, so you shouldn't run into anything there. Current owner is just trying to make the cheapest fix. I would have the current owner of the house purchase it under your son's name. Warranty technically does not apply to anyone but the original purchaser, but all depends on how strictly your dealer would enforce in a situation like this. IMO have them give you a credit and put it towards a complete system if it is more than 5-6 years old.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.