Cloudy water - HELP

Jun 25, 2007
Birmingham, Alabama
Hi guys, I'm new to this forum. As you can tell by my screen name, I'm from Alabama. We've had our pool for 2 years now and the first year we used everything the pool supply store said to use. Every time we turned around we were testing the water and buying more chemicals.
I ran across another site that says in order to maintain a sparkling clean pool all you need are bleach, borax and baking soda. I have an above ground pool approximately 28', sand filter. (thats about all I know)
My question is last week my pool turned slightly green and cloudy, no rain and 90+ temps everyday I'm sure depleted my chlorine. I have managed to clear it up some with the bbb treatment. However, it is still cloudy towards the bottom, but blue. My readings as of yesterday were TC around 10, PH--low at 6.5, TA 78, and CYA (I think was 35). I know I need to bring up the PH and let the chlorine go down a little.
What do I need to add to bring the PH up and make the cloudiness go away?
Does anyone else use the bbb method in maintaining their pool?

Bama,

I've got to run out the door in two minutes......

Welcome!! Most of use BBB or a small variation.

Others will be along soon with some good advice....you've come to the right spot.

Filter 24/7 and keep the chlorine up. Brush or vacuum frequently to keep sediment stirred up. Don't mess with your pH because many pH tests are inaccurate at high chlorine levels.

Most of the members here use bleach for chlorination.

I wanted to add

That the pool is 15,000 gallons +/-. I have been keeping the chlorine high and have added one box of borax and one box of baking soda (4lbs I think) during the past week. Should I worry about the cya level at all? So just keep the filter running? and the chlorine up? I've added bleach, chlorine granules and keep the chlorine pucks in the skimmer, (not all at the same time) I just need to do the popp (pool owners patience and peristence) right?? Thanks, Bamagirl

Re: I wanted to add

Bamagirl said:
That the pool is 15,000 gallons +/-. I have been keeping the chlorine high and have added one box of borax and one box of baking soda (4lbs I think) during the past week. Should I worry about the cya level at all? So just keep the filter running? and the chlorine up? I've added bleach, chlorine granules and keep the chlorine pucks in the skimmer, (not all at the same time) I just need to do the popp (pool owners patience and peristence) right?? Thanks, Bamagirl

Your CYA is fine IF it is 35ppm, however, cloudiness in the water can make the test read higher than the actual value. I would just concentrate on chlorine for now. I'd also stick with bleach because it won't add any cloudiness like the granules can. This will get you to clear water more quickly.

If your CYA is 35, that is fine. 30 - 50 is the recommended range for most pools. With your CYA you need a FC level of 15 to shock your pool. You can use just bleach. Test often and add more bleach to maintain your shock levels.

Click on the links in my signature to get some very helpful tools.

Keep shocking, filtering, brushing, and backwashing your pool. When your chlorine level holds steady overnight, you can let it drift down to 2-5 ppm. The POPP will pay off!

Then repost and we will help you with your other levels.

After your water clears, you are going to need to test your water every evening and add bleach to keep your pool sparkling.

My flight was delayed as I was walking out the door.

Based on your test results, I would probably bring the pH up into the 7.2 - 7.6 range. Twenty Mule Team Borax will do that nicely......use about 1/3 a box and see where you are (you may need more). It's easy to bring back down if you overshoot.

Then, I would shock the pool up to about 20ppm of Cl and I would KEEP THE CL UP THERE UNTIL THE POOL CLEARS. That means testing and adding more Cl twice a day. Download bleachcalc from this forum....it's invaluable. Backwash/clean your filter when you get about a 30% pressure rise (may have to do that more than once) and keep your pump running 24/7 during this whole process.

Once your pool clears up (may take a few more days), post a new set of numbers up on the forum and you can fine tune your pool for the rest of the Summer.

If those are your test results, you've got a good kit. (self-serving commercial follows :lol: )If they're the pool store's tests, you will want to get a kit so you can do your own testing.

Thanks for the help guys. This morning my readings are TC 10, PH 6.8, Alk. 110, CYA 40. I'm using a store bought kit, but one that has served me well. I have not had the water tested by the pool store at all this year b/c in the previous year I was told to buy $$$$ of chemicals to clear the water. I know the numbers look good, but around the bottom step of the ladder it is still a little cloudy. My son will vacuum today and I'll take another reading tonight and see what the water looks like.....Thanks again...Bamagirl

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.