Painful Urination and blood after swimming in pool

QingGuy

Silver Supporter
Mar 22, 2015
Las Vegas NV
NOT LOOKING FOR MEDICAL ADVICE. LOOKING TO SEE IF ANYONE HAS HEARD/EXPERIENCED SOMETHING SIMILAR

Been dealing with what I think is prostatitis over the past few weeks (have seen Dr. been on Cipro, Bactrim, Medrol Dosepak, blood tests, exam etc.), however, something happened the other day that is very strange. One of the symptoms of prostatitis is painful urination, however, I haven't had this symptom.

The other day I got in my pool as I'd read swimming had helped others. I'm also dealing with some tendon and joint issues from taking Cipro (common side effect in about 30% of the people who take it) and read swimming exercises could help that as well.

Was in the pool for about three hours. When I got out I used the restroom and had extreme pain and there was blood in my urine. I have polycystic kidney disease so from time to time I'll get blood in my urine from a cyst bursting so I didn't think much of it. I did however drink some cranberry juice just in-case it was an infection. Blood decreased second urination and pain after about 4/5 evacuations. Two or three days later I get in the pool for about 1.5 hours, use restroom when I get out and there's the pain again, however no blood this time. Pain goes away after 2 to 3 evacuations.

I've had several people in my pool over the past few weeks and no one has complained of similar symptoms. Water looks great, everything is normal as far as chemicals. Swam all last year in similar conditions and never an issue.

Anyone experience anything similar personally or with guests? I honestly don't want to get in my pool again, not even to test it out and see if I still have the issue.

Last edited:
We appreciate your continued participation with TFP. TFP is about maintaining your pool. We are not here to offer medical advice. We are not qualified to offer medical advice and any medical advice offered by other members may or not be questionable. I'm sorry that we cannot help in this situation.

Please note that even if you are a doctor please do not offer any advice. This is something best left between the person and their doctor.

I AM leaving this up just in case any one has had this problem. They may say they had without offering advice.

Kim:cat:

We appreciate your continued participation with TFP. TFP is about maintaining your pool. We are not here to offer medical advice. We are not qualified to offer medical advice and any medical advice offered by other members may or not be questionable. I'm sorry that we cannot help in this situation.

Please note that even if you are a doctor please do not offer any advice. This is something best left between the person and their doctor.

I AM leaving this up just in case any one has had this problem. They may say they had without offering advice.

Kim:cat:
Thanks for the note, probably should have been more to the point. I'm NOT LOOKING FOR MEDICAL ADVICE (tried to put this in the subject but can't edit that), just looking for anyone who may have heard of something similar. Not looking for diagnosis, treatment, suggestions/recommendations or anything close, I'll leave that up to my Dr.

Thanks Kim

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.