New to TFP - starting BBB method

Hello!

This is our 3rd summer having our 28x52 above ground pool which we installed ourselves. The first 1 1/2 summers we used store bought chemicals but never really acheived crystal clear water and spent a ton of money. The second half of last summer I attempted to switch to the BBB after stalking this website for hints and advice. We ended the season last year with fairly decent water but it was somewhat cloudy and would get a green tinge every now and then. I spent the winter and spring reading up on TFP and was excited when our pool opened this year to hit the BBB method head on. Our pool was crystal clear when we removed the cover the end of May, until all the junk from the cover fell into the pool, but with a few bottles of bleach things cleared up quickly, within a few days, and was crystal clear for a few days but then started to cloud and would get a slight tinge of green here and there but return to blue after a few bottles of bleach and that's where we are now. I had been using the 5-way test strips but did break down and order the K-2006, which should be here this afternoon per the tracking via Amazon. I was attempting to do a SLAM, figuring that is what I needed to do to get a hold of everything but without a proper test kit I've really just been adding a ton of bleach. I did find the Pool Essentials Pool Chlorine at Walmart yesterday, 10% and only $2.50/gallon which is less that I was paying for the Walmart brand bleach which is 8.5% ($2.98 gallon). We live in north central WI, our weather only allows at most 2 good months of swimming, 3 if you're brave, and our yard is surrounded by trees and lots of pollen and such, so maintaining the chemicals and levels has always seemed unreachable. I am hoping that with TFP I will be able to have a clear pool (that's also safe) for us to enjoy.

Yesterday we had awful storms throughout the day and were gone most the day (spent the day at Lambeau Field for our sons birthday, Go Packers!) so I did not do anything with the pool in the morning as I didn't want the pump running while we were gone with the storms. This morning when I checked the levels using the 5-way test strips, which I know aren't too accurate, what I got was:
Total Bromine - 2
Free Chlorine - 1
Total Alkalinity - 40
pH - 6.8
Total Hardness - 0

Basically everything is very low, which I suspected as I haven't done anything to it for 2 days. The water is fairly clear, you can see the steps, see the bottom, etc., but it's not crystal clear. I added one gallon of the Pool Essentials Pool Chlorine this morning and turned on the pump. Should I add more or wait until my test kit arrives, which should be around 1:00 central time, and then post my numbers here?

Also, I should note that I will be leaving for a 2 week vacation out west with my kids on Monday, my husband will be home but really prefers not to do too much with the pool, as far as testing and such, so is it realistic for him to just add chlorine each day (or every other) and keep the pump running during day, and call it good? I hate to go through all this now only to have to redo SLAM when we return in a few weeks. Thoughts?

Thanks much for all your help! Since our swimming season is so short here in WI I am excited to enjoy the pool as much as possible :)

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: Well, no doubt there's not much you can do without a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006, so you need to wait on that to arrive. If you're leaving Monday, you won't be able to sustain the SLAM. So yes, I would recommend just adding one gallon of regular bleach each day to your water just to help keep it from getting much worse. Once you return, then you can start the SLAM. You can however still post some results this afternoon if your kit arrives just for practice and so know what you have to work with.

Nice to have you with us.

So I just tested the water but do have a question regarding testing the FC/CC. It has the bottle of powder and says to add 2 dippers to water, what exactly is 2 dippers? There is no well for holding any of the powder, like a teaspoon would have, so does that just mean I dip it into the powder and dip that little bit that sticks to the dipper into the water, twice? I wasn't sure so I added probably more of the powder than I needed to and I was never able to get it to turn from pink, I stopped at 14 drops. I did use the bottle test I had gotten from Walmart last year that tests for FC and pH and it read at 3.0.

FC/CC = unable to get to change from yellow
pH= 7.2
TA = 80
CYA = never unable to see the black dot, was crystal clear
CH= didn't test

Should I retest the FC/CC, what is the proper procedure for the powder? The water is the clearest it's been, you can see the bottom and the swirl pattern on the bottom clearly, which is a good thing. It's going to be in the high 70s here today so I'm guessing the kids and I will swim for a bit if we can, supposed to be in the 80s this wknd so we'll also want to swim before we leave for our trip. Any advice at this point?

Thanks again :)

There should be a little blue paddle stick with a tiny dipper, that's it.

If the plastic block test showed 3, it should have gone clear well short of 14. Can you describe step by step exactly how you did it?

When I added the powder I had quite a bit on the paddle, twice, as I'm just not sure how to measure the amount of powder that goes in, there is no "well" in the paddle to hold any powder. So I did that twice, swirled it, it was pretty bright pink, then I proceeded to add the drops but stopped at 14 since it wasn't doing anything to lighten and I figured that I must have added too much powder. I'm just really confused how you measure on a paddle, how much powder should be going in?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
One other thing about the FC/CC testing .... if you are using the 25ml mark of water and 2 scoops, consider this instead:

10 ml water sample then add ONE heaping scoop of powder then mix. Count number of drops until clear the divide by 2. (Example: 14 drops = FC of 7). It's still precise enough but saves you some drops and powder. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.