Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Changing pump valve was broken at threads in filter inlet.

1. Back To Top    #1

Changing pump valve was broken at threads in filter inlet.

I was changing my handy pump which lasted 10 years (guess I got my money's worth). Anyway long time reader of these forums and first time poster.

Anyways, I was changing the pump after opening the pool for this year and it was DOA, I was disconnecting it from the filter when I noticed the valve to the inlet part of the filter was broken at the threads with the thread of the valve still in the filter. I have disconnected the filter from the rest of the pool now, dried it, and brought it inside to look at it.

Any suggestions to get this stubborn piece out? I have tired to get a pair of pliers in there to try to get some grip to unscrew it but thought I would see what else anyone recommends?

Thanks.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Changing pump valve was broken at threads in filter inlet.

Welcome to TFP

Sorry no one has been able to help, did you get that stubborn piece out?
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

If you are able to, get a hacksaw blade and see if you can make a cut, vertically, inside the broken piece. stop cutting when you get to the pump housing threads. This will significantly weaken the part stuck inside the pump. you should then be able to work a screwdriver in between the broken piece and the pump to continue to break it free. I am not sure if I explained this well enough. It is about a 15 min job and easier to do than explain
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks. Yes I did get it out. I actually did use the hacksaw blade method about a hour after I posted this similar to as danpik said. It was frustrating but it came out thankfully.

Quote Originally Posted by cowboycasey View Post
    Welcome to TFP

Sorry no one has been able to help, did you get that stubborn piece out?