Hello From MN

mn218

Jun 16, 2016
Bemidji Minnesota
Hello--

Hi. Im from a small town in Minnesota. Im new to this. Never had a big pool. just had the little small ones. now I finally got a frame pool for my daughter. its small 12' by 30" above ground frame pool. We have extremely rusty water. filled it up and it looks murky and not good. im new to all of this so im not sure what im suppose to do. Any kind of help would be appreciated!

Welcome!!

Bemidji?!?!? My wife is from Mahnomen. I know they are about an hour apart, but up there, everything is about an hour apart...:p

Anyhow, your first step is to get yourself a quality test kit (See link in my signature). For most issues, this is the jumping off point. While you wait for shipment, get a couple handfuls of jugs of either regular concentrated household bleach or Liquid Chlorine. Add about a 1/2 - 1 jug per evening until your kit comes and you can run a panel of tests. Post the results and you'll get good advice from there.

You may need a metals test kit, given your rusty water, but I would see what your regular panel of test results say first.

A typical panel of test results consists of
Free Chlorine
Combine Chlorimines
Cyanuric Acid
pH
Total Alkalinity
Calcium Hardness (Not as important for pools with liners).