Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Salt in and above ground spa

1. Back To Top    #1

Salt in and above ground spa

Hi,
    I was talking to my mom about salt pools and mentioned that some people add salt to their pool even without a SWCG, to help with feel and skin. Her question: Could she do that in her above ground spa? Regular, freestanding, self contained fiberglass. Type you buy at the fair.

Any feedback?
    Appx. 39,000 gal., in-ground plaster. 48 SqFt Pentair DE grid filter, 1 HP Pentair single speed pump, Circupool RJ-60+ SWG (seen here). Currently using Cellulose instead of DE. Hayward XL suction sweep. TF-100.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Salt in and above ground spa

Regular, freestanding, self contained fiberglass. Type you buy at the fair.
    Not sure what you mean by this...can you post a model name or picture of what you're talking about?
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

Something like this.
    https://secure.img1.wfrcdn.com/lf/ma...pa-LPI51PE.jpg

Just not sure if the equipment in these types of spas could handle salt. I'm thinking it would be OK an it's likely all fiberglass and plastic.
    Appx. 39,000 gal., in-ground plaster. 48 SqFt Pentair DE grid filter, 1 HP Pentair single speed pump, Circupool RJ-60+ SWG (seen here). Currently using Cellulose instead of DE. Hayward XL suction sweep. TF-100.

4. Back To Top    #4

The biggest problem would be the heater. If it's an electric stab-in heater (like the ones you find in hot water heaters), then it's not likely designed to work with salt water. It could corrode faster than normal. That would be my biggest concern. If there were an option to upgrade it to something that could handle salt water then you could even use a drape-over style salt-water chlorine generator for sanitation. But the biggest issue would be the heater lifetime.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates