Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice please!

1. Back To Top    #1

Advice please!

I don't know how to search this question to get a straightforward answer, so please don't yell at me for starting a new thread. Last week we were on vacation, long story short, my pump burned up. Water's green, algae growing on sides and bottom. Got a new pump and it's running now. All the algae is broken up but the water is still green. I have no clue what any of my levels were or are, never tested before. The sand filter and SWG has always kept it crystal clear. Can I shock it with an SWG? Or is there something you can suggest I do? If I can shock, do I use liquid or powder? Thank you in advance.
    Central Ohio. 7,000 gallon AG with an intex 2,800 gph sand filter, SWG.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Advice please!

Welcome!

First order of business, a proper test kit. We recommend the TF100, you will most likely need the XL. Link in signature.
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome.

First things first (Answer your question): Yes, you can "shock" with a SWG, but "Shock" is not considered a product around these parts. It's a process (Shock Level And Maintain) and is done with Liquid.

First, You need you get a DIY test kit. the TF-100 is linked in my signature. There is also a Taylor k-2006, but it has less reagent.

Secondly, if your pool is green, it is probably not Algae free and needs to be SLAM'ed.
    Chris
    17' x 35' outdoor in-ground Grecian shaped w/ vinyl liner. ≈ 21,000 gallons. Hayward S-200 Sand Filter and 1 HP Hayward Super-pump. Other Accessories: slide, light, ladder, fiberglass stairs, TF-100. Baquacil Conversion - June 2015, SLAM How-to, Chlorine/CYA Chart

4. Back To Top    #4

Anyone know where to buy a kit local to central Ohio?

5. Back To Top    #5

The Internet. Not trying to be snarky. I just don't think you can piece a quality test kit for cheaper than what is linked below.
    Chris
    17' x 35' outdoor in-ground Grecian shaped w/ vinyl liner. ≈ 21,000 gallons. Hayward S-200 Sand Filter and 1 HP Hayward Super-pump. Other Accessories: slide, light, ladder, fiberglass stairs, TF-100. Baquacil Conversion - June 2015, SLAM How-to, Chlorine/CYA Chart

6. Back To Top    #6

Very, very few stores carry a recommended testkit, and those few that do, charge an arm and a leg for it. Order a kit, add a half jug of bleach each day, and brush like crazy after adding until your kit arrives.

7. Back To Top    #7

Ok, I'll order a test kit. And research the slam method. But in the mean time I'm running the pump and SWG 24/7 because I read that, but add bleach? Not liquid chlorine?

8. Back To Top    #8

Liquid chlorine and bleach both contain the same ingredient, sodium hypochlorite, just in different percentages. Use whichever you have.
    Last edited by MarianParoo; 06-16-2016 at 10:58 AM. Reason: Auto-correct

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by rdawes View Post
    Anyone know where to buy a kit local to central Ohio?
    You're not going to find a TF-100 in your local pool store. You MIGHT find a Taylor 2006, but trust me - you want the TF-100. I know it looks expensive, but you'll get your money back by using the TFP method. If your pool is green now, you'll probably want the XL option. It gives you more reagent for when you're slamming your pool. This article in Pool School will help you understand the SLAM process: http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/125.
    If you order from TFtestkits, the shipping is pretty quick.

In order for any help on the forum to be helpful to you, you need to embrace the TFP method and to do that you absolutely must have a test kit.

Joey
    18x36 extended octogon IG Vinyl, ~ 110,000L (~29,000 gal)
    Jacuzzi FM24 Sand Filter, Hayward SuperPumpII 1hp
    Pentair Intellichlor SWG - IC-40
    TF-100 Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Bleach and Liquid Chlorine are the same chemical by different names and concentrations. LC is 10%-12.5% Sodium Hypochlorite. Bleach can be up to 8.25% concentration. You can compare price per active once by this link.

Until you receive your test kit, add 1/2 -1 jug of LC per evening and before you start start your SLAM, I'd turn off the SWG. It'll be a waste. Turn it back on once you pass the three criteria (OCLT-FC, OCLT-CC, and clear water).
    Chris

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks for all the help. I'll get a test kit ordered and try to figure out all these levels in the mean time.

12. Back To Top    #12

While you wait on the kit, here's some homework!

Suggest you read up on this:
    Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Also, here is a link to PoolMath tutorial. You can play with it now to start familiarizing yourself with it: Pool School - PoolMath

13. Back To Top    #13

TC - 5 ppm
    CYA - 70 ppm
    PH - 7.2
    TA - 70 ppm

There was no hardness in my water...at all. I guess between our city water and the SWG?

TC is high, but I've been running the boost for 3 days now and added bleach every day too.

The water is no longer green, it smells really clean, but is still cloudy.

14. Back To Top    #14

At 70, your FC is at the low end. Your CYA is a bit high though. You'll need to drain/refill some of the water to get it below 50. Then do a SLAM to clear the cloudiness.
    Chris

15. Back To Top    #15

With SWG, I read CYA should be between 60 and 80.

16. Back To Top    #16

rdawes.....I've only been around a year. Ask away, anything that concerns you, and you will be directed to the correct solution. If you jump forum protocol for some reason, the experts/moderators will explain what to do and what not to do. No yelling here. They want us to make the best use of TFP and all the information available to you.
    You're going to find honest, knowledgable people here with expert advice willing and wanting you to understand and enjoy your pool owning experience without getting held up the pool store or sent in the wrong direction chasing magic solutions.
    Welcome.....
    Bob (AKA Schnozz)
    12 x 24 x 52 Intex Ultra Frame AGP, 8600 Gal; Pentair 2HP/2SP 150sqft Cartridge Filter; Hayward Through Wall Skimmer; Intex Automatic Cleaner (Fantastic); K-2006 Test Kit; Start-up 07/30/2015. First Time Pool Owner in SoCal.

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by Husky25 View Post
    At 70, your FC is at the low end. Your CYA is a bit high though. You'll need to drain/refill some of the water to get it below 50. Then do a SLAM to clear the cloudiness.
    Are you sure about this? It flies in the face of Pool School for SWG pools.

TF-100 Test Kit

18. Back To Top    #18

My bad. I didn'the realize you had a SWG. Disregard the CYA comment. You still need a SLAM to get rid of the cloudiness.
    Chris

19. Back To Top    #19

No worries. And we're in the process of a Slam. Is the water safe to swim in during the SLAM process?

20. Back To Top    #20

If you have a Cya of 70,your shock level is 23. If your FC is at 23 there's no way you want to swim in it. Also you said you can't see the bottom which makes it a dangerous situation to swim in.

Your last post had a FC of 5. We're you able to get it up to to the shock level of 23?

TF-100 Test Kit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast