CYA levels

Neo337

May 10, 2015
Memphis, TN
So I have been doing the TFP method for a year now and just had the liner changed in my pool a week ago. With the liner change they were supposed to put in all the startup chemicals. When I tested it the next day there was no chlorine in the pool. So I got the chlorine level to normal and tested everything else and it was good. The next day no chlorine again. So I am assuming they did not put any stabilizer in it, since no matter how much chlorine I put in it, its gone very quickly. I am out of the reagent to test CYA and have some on the way, but what should I do in the meantime? I am just eating through chlorine.

I might actually recommend this .... your water is about a week old right? I doubt it's growing algae yet, but even if it was and you needed to SLAM later, you want at least a CYA of 30. SO for now, you know you can add stabilizer for a CYA target of 30 - then just consider it at that target once dissolved.
To increase CYA via granular stabilizer, place the required amount as calculated by the Poolmath calculator into a white sock and place in the poolside skimmer basket. For those concerned about suction flow to the pump, suspending the sock near a return jet or from a floating device will also suffice. Best never to allow undissolved granules to rest directly against the pool surface. Squeeze the sock periodically to help it dissipate. Once dissolved, consider your CYA adjusted to that programmed (target) level. CYA test readings should show a rise in 24-48 hours, however some pools may experience a longer delay to fully register. Best to confirm final CYA in about 5-7 days before adding any more stabilizer/conditioner.
As you've already heard, when in doubt about algae.... run an OCLT. If there is no algae, then increase FC to about 3 ppm on day 1, then once that stabilizer is dissolved, increase your FC to about 5 ppm. That should help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.