Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA levels

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA levels

So I have been doing the TFP method for a year now and just had the liner changed in my pool a week ago. With the liner change they were supposed to put in all the startup chemicals. When I tested it the next day there was no chlorine in the pool. So I got the chlorine level to normal and tested everything else and it was good. The next day no chlorine again. So I am assuming they did not put any stabilizer in it, since no matter how much chlorine I put in it, its gone very quickly. I am out of the reagent to test CYA and have some on the way, but what should I do in the meantime? I am just eating through chlorine.
    42,500 gallon, IG vinyl liner
    Triton II TR-100HD sand filter
    AC Smith Centurion no switch 2 HP pump
    Taylor K-2006 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: CYA levels

Without knowing the actual CYA levels, you could try an OCLT to see if it's really the sun burning the chlorine or an actual problem for which you'll need to SLAM.
    8,500gal plaster in-ground with attached spa, two floor drains, one skimmer. Chlorine, City Water.
    Pentair WhisperFlo 1hp Pump, MagnaTek Midcentury EPlus motor, Pentair CleanNClear 200SF Cartridge filter, Purex Triton MiniMax 250 Gas Heater, Pentair SunLite, AutoFill.
    Kreepy Krauly Cruiser, TF-100 with SpeedStir. :D

3. Back To Top    #3

+1 to trying the OCLT.

What are dimensions of your pool? 42K is a monster!
    30K? gal (20x40, 3ft shallow to 8-9ft hopper), Vinyl IG, single speed 1HP pump, Hayward Micro Clear DE-3600 filter, Hayward Aqua Rite SWG T15 Cell, Rheem/Raypack M206A heater

4. Back To Top    #4

I might actually recommend this .... your water is about a week old right? I doubt it's growing algae yet, but even if it was and you needed to SLAM later, you want at least a CYA of 30. SO for now, you know you can add stabilizer for a CYA target of 30 - then just consider it at that target once dissolved.
    To increase CYA via granular stabilizer, place the required amount as calculated by the Poolmath calculator into a white sock and place in the poolside skimmer basket. For those concerned about suction flow to the pump, suspending the sock near a return jet or from a floating device will also suffice. Best never to allow undissolved granules to rest directly against the pool surface. Squeeze the sock periodically to help it dissipate. Once dissolved, consider your CYA adjusted to that programmed (target) level. CYA test readings should show a rise in 24-48 hours, however some pools may experience a longer delay to fully register. Best to confirm final CYA in about 5-7 days before adding any more stabilizer/conditioner.
    As you've already heard, when in doubt about algae.... run an OCLT. If there is no algae, then increase FC to about 3 ppm on day 1, then once that stabilizer is dissolved, increase your FC to about 5 ppm. That should help.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

Awesome, thanks guys. I'm doing the OCLT test tonight, and picked up stabilizer to add that in tomorrow. Just wanted to double check before adding the stabilizer as to not over do it.
    42,500 gallon, IG vinyl liner
    Triton II TR-100HD sand filter
    AC Smith Centurion no switch 2 HP pump
    Taylor K-2006 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Neo337 View Post
    Awesome, thanks guys. I'm doing the OCLT test tonight, and picked up stabilizer to add that in tomorrow. Just wanted to double check before adding the stabilizer as to not over do it.

Exactly the right thing to do, no harm in double checking!
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!