Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I'm told I have scaling, don't see it..

1. Back To Top    #1

I'm told I have scaling, don't see it..

I have had my pool about a year. Its pebble sheen finish, salt water. In that time it has always been open and I have kept a sharp eye on the ph and chlorine after doing complete tests prior to winter and getting the water balanced in the 7 parameters.
    I had some warranty work on the pebble sheen today. One itsy bitsy pebble was causing rust stains. They removed it and cleaned the rust but called me and said "by the way, we noticed some calcium scaling, you need to add Calcium Tec once a month"
    I came home and the pool tile and plaster looked fine to me. I tested the water and here is where I am

ph 7.6
    T/A 70
    CH 220 ( I understand I need to get it up to 300)
    CYA 40 (need to bring it back up to 70-80)

What should I be looking for as far as this scaling? Is it obvious?
    24,000 gal SWG pool
    Bunch of stuff
    Aqua Blue Pebblesheen
    2 Colorlogic LED lights
    Huge Hayward D.E. filter
    more stuff

2. Back To Top    #2
    Lakeland, FL

Re: I'm told I have scaling, don't see it..

the calcium scaling I had (if that's what it was, heh) was like thin lines of white solid stuff on the walls. I always thought it was misapplied plaster, but now I see that it isn't. but your CH doesn't seem high enough, and if you've been keeping an eye on the ph...
    I think calcium scaling can also happen on tile or rock, etc.
    http://burtonsbeadblastingandpoolservic ... 150707.jpg
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: I'm told I have scaling, don't see it..

Calcium scale will show up as rough white stuff on the pebbles and on the plaster between the pebbles.

Your current chemistry is well balanced and would not be causing scaling, though scaling may have happened at some time in the past.

If you don't see it, it isn't anything to worry about. Your chemistry is good, so it shouldn't be getting any worse.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School