PB does not install white plaster? Why?

Feb 18, 2014
Houston, TX
So, i need to get my pool reno'd. I have found a great company that i really like. They are quoting me $10,800 for pebble tech level 1 (including replacing 1 pool drain, 2 spa drains and adding 1 more pool drain to bring it up to code).

I originally wanted to just get white plaster to save money but was told they dont install white plaster anymore. I then called another PB and was told the same thing. Is white plaster really not used anymore. I did get quoted $2800 for white plaster from a small company I didnt really like.

So, i need to get my pool reno'd. I have found a great company that i really like. They are quoting me $10,800 for pebble tech level 1 (including replacing 1 pool drain, 2 spa drains and adding 1 more pool drain to bring it up to code).

I originally wanted to just get white plaster to save money but was told they dont install white plaster anymore. I then called another PB and was told the same thing. Is white plaster really not used anymore. I did get quoted $2800 for white plaster from a small company I didnt really like.

From my understanding you can still get it but most don't recommend simple white plaster any longer. The pebble plasters last a lot longer and so have become the preference.

Here is an article comparing different types. Swimming Pool Plaster | DIY Pool Plans

Maybe look at quartz as an option if you want to spend less?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's kind of like most things these days. Expectations have risen and so has the PB's marketing skill. Plain plaster is just as available as base models of cars. It will get you 10-20 years if well maintained (may not look the best at that point).
Pebble finishes have a much higher profit margin to them as well. And really no downsides except cost.

Absolutely no reason you won't get 10++ years from quartz if properly maintained.

Great, Thanks! I have been lazy with the pool chemistry but after I pay for this reno I know im gonna be on top of it from now on. Our PB company is going to give us a hard time if they even decide to give us a quote on quartz. They only install pebble tech $$$.

I would call MMG - Modern Method Gunite. They are the company who installs PebbleTec here in Houston. They really are an outstanding group. I would ask them if they do plain white plaster. If they say no, ask them where you can go. I think they will be honest with you.

From what my PB told me, it wasn't just the mark-up for him. It was also the quality of work MMG does. He knew there would be fewer headaches post plaster. If there were problems, he knew MMG would take care of them. From my experience last summer with the PebbleTec division of MMG, I believe my PB was telling the truth. They were amazing and the ultimate professionals.
I know when I was getting pool build bids, plain plaster was available, but not encouraged.

Interesting the regional differences in PB that I am seeing here.

We are actively building right now. During the bid process, and early conversations between my wife and I, we had lots of conversations about the different finish options. Not one builder said NO to regular plaster, several advocated Quartz or pebble tech for longevity and variety of color and texture options. We ultimately went with plain white plaster, only because in 10-12 years we are pretty sure we will want to change the look of our pool anyway so we really didn't need the longevity. There were certainly Quartz options we liked, but since our previous pool was grey we new we wanted a more traditional white pool finish this time and going with a plain white finish meant the economics of plaster won out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.